Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How about an Old School Archery Division in 3D?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How about an Old School Archery Division in 3D?

Automakers have classic car touring classes, showing the best technology of that long ago era.

Bow Manufacturers put a lot of time, money and effort to get us to where we are now. Lest we not forget the original old school technology of premium craftsmanship and North American know how of old that got us to where we are today, with 350+ fps speeds.

I think it would be a great idea in 3D shoots to have an old school division for pre 1980 compound bows like Hoyt, Martin, Pearson, Bear, PSE, Oneida etc before the advent of fast flite string and super lite carbons.

While wood and glass limbs with metal cables were bulky and slowed down the arrow, you couldn't get a quieter, accurate 200 fps bow.

Perhaps a boon to archery manufacturers and their technical skills in following Allen and his first 1960s compound bow.

I still have my 1982 Martin Cougar Magnum I shoot as a finger shooter at least once a month and everyone notices how whisper quiet it is, and accurate, granted the 500 grain arrow helps, as a lite carbon arrow would grenade the bow.

How many of us still have our old school bows hanging on the wall unused, I think it's time to dust em off, tune em up and use them as they were intended... to shoot!

So what do you all think? Should a division of Old School Bows have their own place, with aluminum arrows, pre 1980 bows, metal cables and all?

Old timers will reminisce and newer archers would be surprised by these slower bows accuracy and excellent workmanship.

How many of us still enjoy shooting our old school technology?

Guaranteed it would separate the men from the boys when it comes to determining yardage, as anyone know from Old School flatter trajectories were non existent when compared to bows of today.

Anyway, I'm just throwing this idea out there!

1982 Martin Cougar Magnum
    Bohning Archery-Bohning Archery Staff Shooter.
    Last edited by Barry O'Regan; 03-27-2011 at 05:05 AM.

SonnyThomas

Old shooter bows still travel the 3D courses as well as spot events. To form a class probably would be futile. Though well taken care of, the now many years old wood risers and wood laminated limbs may begin to fail.

Post Thanks / Like

Barry,

Welcome to the Martin Tech Forum. Whne I first saw your name I didn't recognize it and thought "Another spammer to get rid of". Upon clicking on and reading your post I found it quite refreshing to read such a nice idea; especially for your first post here.

I see you have in your signature a 1982 Cougar. Although I never had a Martin bow back then I did have several others. My all time favorite being 1977 Jennings Arrowstar, probably because it was my best shooter from those years. Maybe it had something to do with my age, eyesight, and other factors, Huh?

Just your post here has brought back a lot of memories and thoughts about bows from that era. I think in many ways they were better shooters than a lot of bows today. Being of the longer a2a variety, higher brace height, round wheels. Yes, they were slower and had more "hand shock" just due to their design, but in most cases the grip section was right in the middle of the bow which made them draw and balance much nicer than bows of today; something that many younger shooters today have never had the pleasure of experiencing.

I could go on, but just wish to welcome you here. If you haven't already done so please fill out some information in your profile so we might know a little more about you. This is a nice forum and almost family like with quite a few regulars here. You are welcome to join us.

Barry
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin/Rytera Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

@ bfisher did your Jennings have the old Carroll style riser on it? My first compund was a Jennings but not sure if it was the Arrowstar or the T-Star. That was the best feeling grip of all time I think. Was at my Martin dealer yesterday and he had a Oneida Strike Eagle hanging there he had worked on for a guy. I had 2 different Onieda Phantoms and a Strike Eagle. Most folks couldn't stand them but those were the smoothest drawing and shooting bows ever. Just a touch on the long and heavy side is all.

SonnyThomas

I didn't notice you being a junior member. Welcome.

Additonal; Every so often I get down one of the old wall hangers and give them a test shot or two. one that always makes me smile is a Pearson target wheel bow, blue riser and white limbs. Only 37 pounds max (sticker on limb), it is a bit short for me. I anchor middle finger to front center of my chin. I use Beman Junior Hunters with 90 gr field points. From the 20 yard line just about all the 3D targets on the indoor floor can be 10ed regularly and no sights. For no sights I do fairly well shooting the NFAA single spot - okay, far from great, but shocks a few of the compound kids. If I were to chalk the field tips I might do a little better. I'll have to check to see which oldie, but there are a couple just over 48" ata and one 50", I think.

Almost forgot. Over on AT someone posted of ancient compounds, 5 years or older. I'm about ready to get out my Ole War Horse, (2000 UltraTec) and whomp some butt....

Post Thanks / Like

welcom.i agree nice way to make an intro.i do not shoot 3d circut nor do i follow it so i cant say much on bringing in ol school,but it does sound like a great idea..

Post Thanks / Like

It would be really nice if the ASA or IBO came up with a class for such bows, even if only for a couple shoots just to see how much interest there would be.

Boothill, try looking down the list on Archery History. Bows from the 1970's. There's a pic of an Arrowstar, 4 wheel compound. Mine had a black riser and white limbs. And surprisingly shot at 232 fps. It peaked at 51# and was shooting X7 1614 arrows with target points. I still have remnants of the couple robinhoods I shot with it. One was a dead center X at 48 yards during the 1979 PSAA Field Chamionships, my best year of shooting.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Bfisher I'm thinking mine was a Forked Lightening just looking at the pictures. I don't remember those stickers on it but the grip looks the same. It has 30% letoff wheels on it with the steel cables and I put 65% on it when thet came out. I wish I still had it.

SonnyThomas

Our club president has a couple old shooters. Like '74 or 75.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's on Archery History, but those two are the old Cam-Act I believe. As many years as I've been shooting I've never seen one on a course. I guess they were too removed from the norm for most people to swallow.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver