Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How about an Old School Archery Division in 3D?

SonnyThomas

Default How about an Old School Archery Division in 3D?

The most advanced bows of the time and still unbelievable today. Too much to relate, but check out Archery History - talk about colored target bows - Awesome. All in one bow, tremendous draw length adjustment and draw weight from 20 to 80 pounds - same cams, same limbs, mod adjustment and short cable switch. These bows also have positive draw stops, but make a "click" sound when hitting.

The all Martin camo is just that Martin camo. The stabilizer is not really a stabilizer. It's for storage. Pat's father bought this bow new and killed a deer with it the same year. Vice President of our club also has a Kam-Act which I believe his wife shot. So 3 that I know of.

I sent Terry Martin the picture today. I ran across it while sorting my pictures. I had sent it way back when, but I guess he didn't get it. I understood he was interested in the Camo bow for the Martin History collection.
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 03-28-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default old school

My archery club has a heritage day shoot where all you can use is old stuff ..It's a hoot ..some of the old bows are still kicking it ...I shoot a Brown Bear with the old brass pins. It would be cool to go to an A.S.A championship with an old bow ...AND WIN ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Barry,

Welcome to the Martin Tech Forum. Whne I first saw your name I didn't recognize it and thought "Another spammer to get rid of". Upon clicking on and reading your post I found it quite refreshing to read such a nice idea; especially for your first post here.

I see you have in your signature a 1982 Cougar. Although I never had a Martin bow back then I did have several others. My all time favorite being 1977 Jennings Arrowstar, probably because it was my best shooter from those years. Maybe it had something to do with my age, eyesight, and other factors, Huh?

Just your post here has brought back a lot of memories and thoughts about bows from that era. I think in many ways they were better shooters than a lot of bows today. Being of the longer a2a variety, higher brace height, round wheels. Yes, they were slower and had more "hand shock" just due to their design, but in most cases the grip section was right in the middle of the bow which made them draw and balance much nicer than bows of today; something that many younger shooters today have never had the pleasure of experiencing.

I could go on, but just wish to welcome you here. If you haven't already done so please fill out some information in your profile so we might know a little more about you. This is a nice forum and almost family like with quite a few regulars here. You are welcome to join us.

Barry
    Thanks, I filled in my profile, but for some reason profile photo or even a Martin Avatar under 60KB keeps getting a failure to upload!
    1982 Martin Cougar Magnum
    Bohning Archery Bohning Pro Field Staff. T.R.U. Ball Staff Shooter. Hamskea Archery Solutions Staff Shooter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Old shooter bows still travel the 3D courses as well as spot events. To form a class probably would be futile. Though well taken care of, the now many years old wood risers and wood laminated limbs may begin to fail.
    I shoot mine at least once a week with nary a failure, speaks volumes in Martin Quality, even 28 years later. If the limb one day ever fails, I am sure I can find a replacement somewhere. My Cougar Magnum is one of the most quietest bows out there. Of course I would never chance shooting it with todays arrows, only 500 grain all aluminum arrow for my Cougar will do.
    Bohning Archery Bohning Pro Field Staff. T.R.U. Ball Staff Shooter. Hamskea Archery Solutions Staff Shooter.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My 1990s Martin Bengal

Here is a photo of my 1990s Martin Bengal, still kicks butt and takin whether shooting 90 meters or shooting 3D or robin hooding competitors arrows. Its a beast!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Regan View Post
    Thanks, I filled in my profile, but for some reason profile photo or even a Martin Avatar under 60KB keeps getting a failure to upload!
    That's odd. I don't believe it will accept an animated picture, but a regular photo shouldn't have a problem.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, Welcome to the Martin Tech Forum, and good shooting.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice idea Barry.

I still have the second bow I ever bought.

My first was a Hoyt Ram hunter or similar, it was on offer as it was last years model, so that would have made it a 1985.

In 1988/9 I treated myself to a shiny new Martin Lynx XR. It still shoots well with 2117 aluminium arrows, but I do find the old pin sight with painted brass pins a little odd to use.
    Dedicated Finger Shooter.

Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs: Davis The System, Free Flyte rest.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

A Vintage Class? Interesting but I'm with Sonny, I don't think it would be successful. Might drive up the price of old bows though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up It would be Old School Archery anytime I show up!

My first compound bow was an old Indian Archery bow with a big old honkin wood riser, man she was beautiful, but a beast to shoot, when compared to the bows of today. I wish I had a picture of her.

I just used this thread to take a stroll down memory lane, Ahhh!!!
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com