Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experience Pays

Post Thanks / Like

Default Experience Pays

Lately I set my bow up from indoor mode getting ready for oudoor 3D. 46#, 27" draw, and shooting a 230 gr. arrow. I have been stating the speed at 280 fps on several forums. Just today I was at Kinsey's Outdoors and chrono'd the bow and lo and behold it came in at 278 fps, four shots in a row. I guess it must be about 278 fps.

Not too shabby of a guess for an old man.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

That is a man who knows his equipment!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

not to shaby.when a guy spends enough time with a project then it becomes apart of that person..a second nature type thing...good job

Post Thanks / Like

Whats your setup? Ive been looking for arrows for my #50 Mystic that are light. Im in at 27" too and would be curious as to your arrows.
    '08 Bowtech Guardian- QAD Pro HD-Spot Hogg Boss Hogg!-POSTEN Stabilizers- Wallace Brook Archery Strings
    '08 Martin Mystic Furious X-Toxonics sight with Spot Hogg scope-TTSpringSteel rest-POSTEN Stabilizers-Winners Choice strings

Post Thanks / Like

Gold Tip UL-600. Raw shaft is cut to 25.5". With nock installed and measuring to the nock groove they come out to 26" even. Right now they have Easton CB bushings and G-nocks. Three 2" Rayzr feathers. Points are 35gr glue-in target points with 10 gr. GT weights installed in the back of the points. No wrap or anything else fancy. Total arrow weight is 229.7 grains to adhere to the 5 gr/lb rule.

These are for shooting primarily 3D with a little indoor spot shooting right now till it warms up enough to shoot outside. I also have some made up that weigh 209 gr and just for giggles shot a couple over the chrono at 50# and they clock 296 fps with the same bow setup.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

those are pretty light and i'm wondering what your FOC is on those arrows. how are they flying out to say 40 yards?

i get right at 270 fps with my shadowcat shooting a 275 gr arrow at 50 pounds with a FOC of about 9 %.

those are victory x ringers. they show a really stiff spine but some how or other they seem to shoot fine out to 40 yards. (that's the max distance for the geezer class in ASA)

with those same arrows using my diamond marquis set at 50 pounds i'm getting 282 fps. good but i love the shadowcat and i'll give up the other 15 fps or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, FOC works out to 6.355% which isn't much, but consideering my shooting ability I was able to shoot good enough groups to get a sight setting out to 55 yards. Considering that I'm an old geezer I don't have to shoot beyond 35 yards for local 3D's so it's not too bad. Being as I'm a work in progress I'll be playing around with it as the weather improves, possibly bumping the bow up around 50# and adding heavier weight to the points so as to get up around 9% FOC or close to it. That should be sufficient for a target arrow. I do know that a lighter FOC allows the arrows to drift at longer ranges.

You probably don't know much history on me, but 4 years ago I had a case of Acute Brachial Plexus Neuritis and a hernaited disc in my neck. In one month's time I went from shooting about 60# to struggling with a 15# Genisis (muscle loss). It took me a year to get back up to 27#. It's been a long 4 years and I'm just now getting up to around 45# and having confidence again. I spent a year shooting nothing but 15 yards to build some muscle back and be able to control the bow. Of course this led to some bad shooting and a good case of target panic that I'm beginning to overcome to some degree. At least I do see some progress.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

SonnyThomas

Default Experience Pays

I feel for you, bfisher. Neck injury and several back injuries and a broken back...Yep, I know pain. The wrist bone having the socket for my thumb was damaged beyond repair was replaced with a gel pack and flesh (worked until it became scar tissue). When I tried to pull back a 12 pound kid's bow I hurt so bad....I went to my knees. Pain easing I was then scared I would never shoot again. My hand looked so ugly and my thumb looked overly set back. I've pic somewhere - I'll find it.
    After reading of your recovery mine was a snap. It took from February to the end of June to begin to draw my 3D bow. I went from 10 pounds, to 12, to 15, to 25 and then a 35 pound bow. I tell ya, after each session I was sweating like hard run horse. I think this was in May. I began leaping. 45 to 55 and then to 60 by the end of June. By July I was well enough to shoot in the IAA State Championship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post

You probably don't know much history on me, but 4 years ago I had a case of Acute Brachial Plexus Neuritis and a hernaited disc in my neck. In one month's time I went from shooting about 60# to struggling with a 15# Genisis (muscle loss). It took me a year to get back up to 27#. It's been a long 4 years and I'm just now getting up to around 45# and having confidence again. I spent a year shooting nothing but 15 yards to build some muscle back and be able to control the bow. Of course this led to some bad shooting and a good case of target panic that I'm beginning to overcome to some degree. At least I do see some progress.
    I can't even imagine what you went through, but I'm glad you're doing well now.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Well Barry, I am glad you didn't give up. And I am glad you kept going. It must have been a hard thing to get through but sounds like your doing well now.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com