Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Experience Pays

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not too shabby of a guess for an old man.

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Lately I set my bow up from indoor mode getting ready for oudoor 3D. 46#, 27" draw, and shooting a 230 gr. arrow. I have been stating the speed at 280 fps on several forums. Just today I was at Kinsey's Outdoors and chrono'd the bow and lo and behold it came in at 278 fps, four shots in a row. I guess it must be about 278 fps.

Not too shabby of a guess for an old man.

Hey there young man, careful what you refer to as old! Nice guess BTW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Well Barry, I am glad you didn't give up. And I am glad you kept going. It must have been a hard thing to get through but sounds like your doing well now.

Hutch
    Psychologically it really did a number on me and I went through a period of depression, almost sucidal, but did get over it. This was the third surgery on my neck in 15 years---degenerative disc disease so it may not be my last. At the time this hit me I coiuldn't even raise my bow arm with 4#--main reason for the Genisis. Another thing that bothered me was that I had a brand new, in the box, 2007 Chameleon colored S4, 40-55# and couldn't even roll it over so it got sold unshot.

Hey, I appreciate everybodys' sympathy and well wishes, but I'm finally getting my mind under control. Shooting will never be the same for me. I'll never draw the same weight and the muscle control will never be the same, but I did come to the realization that I have to play the hand that I've been dealt and do my best with it.

I can take some solace in teaching and coaching new shooters, passing on some of what others taught me when I was in my prime. I think I get almost as much joy out of this as I did shooting.

Over the years all the guys I used to shoot with have gone in other directions so I've been mostly on my own the last few years. Now it seems some of those I coached are taking some interest in target and 3D shooting so I'll most likely end up with new "competitors". You know the ones. Those who like to rub it in when they beat the old master. Hey, that's OK, too. I still hold my own.

I guess you can tell I'm starting to enjoy it again. Sorry for the rambling, but it's my way of relieving stress and gives you guys a better understanding of where I'm coming from. I do have to say this. Through it all I never had a thought of giving up. Giving up would be like giving in and I'm too hard headed for that.

Thanks for listening guys
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gibson 787 View Post
    Hey there young man, careful what you refer to as old! Nice guess BTW
    OK, so how old are you? I checked your profile and it seems you are ashamed to let us know. LOL

Sonny, it looks like you've had your bad days, too. Putting it bluntly, life can be a bitch. It's a shame these things happen, but it does show you and others just what you're made of. I can imagine this had you down in the dumps for a while, but being a real man you fought it off and came back. Good for you.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so how old are you? I checked your profile and it seems you are ashamed to let us know. LOL

Sonny, it looks like you've had your bad days, too. Putting it bluntly, life can be a bitch. It's a shame these things happen, but it does show you and others just what you're made of. I can imagine this had you down in the dumps for a while, but being a real man you fought it off and came back. Good for you.
    Turned 60 last year. Not ashamed just can't believe how it seems to speed up when you get past 40

Post Thanks / Like

im not long winded.that being said way to get back on the horse.good job

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gibson 787 View Post
    Turned 60 last year. Not ashamed just can't believe how it seems to speed up when you get past 40
    Gotcha by almost 4 years------Young Man, right back at ya. I could be wrong, but I think ElkSlayer4x5 is the senior member on here at what---66?
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha by almost 4 years------Young Man, right back at ya. I could be wrong, but I think ElkSlayer4x5 is the senior member on here at what---66?
    you guys are not old.your in your prime.dont ya know 60'ish is the new 45 somthing

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt in my mind.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

66 eh? well let's see, that would put me in kindergarten when he was born...as of this coming wednesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosII View Post
    66 eh? well let's see, that would put me in kindergarten when he was born...as of this coming wednesday.
    OK, so that would make you 71, right? You're ahead for now. Let's see if there's anybody older.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver