Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Module screws

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Module screws

Just bought an Onza, and there is one module screw that is either buggered, or in so tight I can't budge it. I've broken 2 allen wrenches so far trying to get it out. Been soaking it in silicone lubricant and WD 40, and still too tight. The allen head is still ok. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks guys!
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

You could back the bow off, remove the strings and then use a small pencil torch to heat it up and try to get it to break loose.

Post Thanks / Like

I seen that at a local shop when I wanted to test a FC400. Owner said he's had it happen more than he wants to admit. He said it isn't the threads, but the steel countersunk head is galling to the aluminum cam. He has to drill out the head and then the threaded area comes right out.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

i have to say drill out the head,leaving the alllen head still to ware you can get a wrench on it.then take it on out.small hole not big one.then if it dont come out try hot cold and you will have a center hole for even flow.

Post Thanks / Like

Cycing of heat and cold will help if it isn't galling. If it is galling, and I suspect that since you broke two wrenches, heat cycling isn't going to be much help.

This reminds me, tonight I am pulling my screws out and applying anti-seize.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Ehunter,
    What was the outcome if you don't mind me asking?

chasman
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Default another option

If only 1 screw is tight.

Remove the other screw and you can rotate the module to loosen the screw that will not come loose. This has worked for me everytime.

If 2 screws will not loosen.

I had one guy with a good wrench and I used a nail set and a hammer on the head of the screw. I gently tapped the screw as the other guy was putting pressure on it with the wrench.

Give it a whirl

SonnyThomas

Default Module screws

Quote Originally Posted by gstudt View Post
    If only 1 screw is tight.
    Remove the other screw and you can rotate the module to loosen the screw that will not come loose. This has worked for me everytime.
    If 2 screws will not loosen.
    I had one guy with a good wrench and I used a nail set and a hammer on the head of the screw. I gently tapped the screw as the other guy was putting pressure on it with the wrench.
    Give it a whirl
    Warning on using the mod to break loose the screw - DON'T FORCE! You could bend the mod....

Other than "tapping" with a nail set and missing and smashing the cam, try a dremel tool and grind to "slice" a cut across the allen head. Once a good cut or slice you can use a small chisel, screw driver or nail set and gently tap the screw in the direction to loosen.

And it is true of the allen head corroding to the cam. WD 40 and the likes don't penetrate and will break through corrosion. Use Liquid Wrench the supreme penetrating oil.

If and when you break the screw loose or on another froze screw, when it breaks loose you will smell a sulfer like smell. That's corrosion.

Post Thanks / Like

i use mouse milk to get into them things that just wont break loose.

Post Thanks / Like

PB Buster is another good penetrating oil for such occasions. Once the old screw is out and you're ready to install a new one I recommend apply string wax on the screw threads then running it into the hole. This will act like a thread locker but doesn't seize up like your current situation and won't cause damage to the threads in the hole.
    08/13 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67.5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)