Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Module screws

Post Thanks / Like

Default Module screws

Just bought an Onza, and there is one module screw that is either buggered, or in so tight I can't budge it. I've broken 2 allen wrenches so far trying to get it out. Been soaking it in silicone lubricant and WD 40, and still too tight. The allen head is still ok. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks guys!
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

You could back the bow off, remove the strings and then use a small pencil torch to heat it up and try to get it to break loose.

Post Thanks / Like

Take all steps needed to get full exposure to the screw. Place an ice cube on the head for 2-3 minutes. Try to loosen. If that doe not work get an electric soldering iron, apply heat to head. Try hot/ cold combinations of 2-3 minutes each. Eventually you should expand and contract the screw enough to get it to move w an allen. Be sure you do not make the screw too hot w/ the soldering iron. I never had to do this on a bow but have used it many times b4 on scopes, gun parts, cars parts etc. Or take it back to a service rep.
    Last edited by cjchasman; 03-28-2011 at 06:13 AM.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

I seen that at a local shop when I wanted to test a FC400. Owner said he's had it happen more than he wants to admit. He said it isn't the threads, but the steel countersunk head is galling to the aluminum cam. He has to drill out the head and then the threaded area comes right out.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

i have to say drill out the head,leaving the alllen head still to ware you can get a wrench on it.then take it on out.small hole not big one.then if it dont come out try hot cold and you will have a center hole for even flow.

Post Thanks / Like

Cycing of heat and cold will help if it isn't galling. If it is galling, and I suspect that since you broke two wrenches, heat cycling isn't going to be much help.

This reminds me, tonight I am pulling my screws out and applying anti-seize.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Ehunter,
    What was the outcome if you don't mind me asking?

chasman
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

well if you broke allen wrenches and its not coming out, id suggest a hardened allen driver bit, and a 1/4 inch wrench. good bits are hard to come by sometimes though. and if the screw isnt damaged, a mac or snap-on bit, with a lil tap to make sure its seated fully, and the wrench should get it no problem. its fairly easy to end up with allen wrenches that are soft and twist off. do not tighten your mod screws this as it will be easy to over tighten them.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

Default chasman

The final outcome was, I left it alone. lol Turkey season has started here, and that's what I bought the bow for. I just moved the draw stop a bit to get my correct draw length. Just has less let-off now. Still well within reason though. I'm guessing about 60-65% let off now. Being a 60 pound bow, that's not too bad at all. After season ends, I'll screw with it more and try to get the thing apart. Got it tuned and shooting great now, so worry about it later. lol I did put anti-seize on the other 3 mod screws before they went back in though. lol
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    The final outcome was, I left it alone. lol Turkey season has started here, and that's what I bought the bow for. I just moved the draw stop a bit to get my correct draw length. Just has less let-off now. Still well within reason though. I'm guessing about 60-65% let off now. Being a 60 pound bow, that's not too bad at all. After season ends, I'll screw with it more and try to get the thing apart. Got it tuned and shooting great now, so worry about it later. lol I did put anti-seize on the other 3 mod screws before they went back in though. lol
    good luck on the hunt. Post up some pics of you success
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340