Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peer pressure to switch bow brands ?????!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Peer pressure to switch bow brands ?????!!!!!!!!!

Ok, Here in southern Wisconsin there is very few that shoot Martin bows. Spots, Field, 3-D, etc... Most shoot the other brands. Since starting competitive archery, 3 years ago, I have been shooting and loving Martin. So, why is it that many of my archery buddies keep telling me to "switch bow brands" and shoot theirs? "You will shoot better". "Theirs is superior and better", bla,bla,bla.....

Anybody else get this pressure? Better yet, anybody else gone to the other side and find out what all the hype is about?

DON'T GET ME WRONG, I LOVE MY MARTIN BOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Martin Silver Star Shooter
    2013 Scepter V
    2012 Alien Nemisis
    2011 ShadowCat
    2008 FireCat
    2007 Scepter 4
    2006 Slayer X

" Right handed / Left eye dominate and shoot left handed "

Post Thanks / Like

like my Mama used to say, "I suppose if everybody else jumped off the cliff you'd jump with 'em!"

ride for the brand, as they say in cattle country.

looks like you have great line up of Martins there.

Post Thanks / Like

You betch ya! Love shooting all of them!
    Martin Silver Star Shooter
    2013 Scepter V
    2012 Alien Nemisis
    2011 ShadowCat
    2008 FireCat
    2007 Scepter 4
    2006 Slayer X

" Right handed / Left eye dominate and shoot left handed "

SonnyThomas

Default Peer pressure to switch bow brands ?????!!!!!!!!!

Peer pressure? I shot Hoyts since year 2000. 7 or 8 UltraTecs and 1 ProElite. A Martin staff shooter stuck a Shadowcat in my hand right before the ProAm in Metro last summer. I thought I did pretty good for shooting it just two weeks and the draw length too long for me. I got my own and have been shooting it ever since.

John Wheeler used a Martin Shadowcat to establish a new Vegas record this year - February 2011. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...78&pagenumber=

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

martin is just as good quality as anything else and w a smaller $ tag. Remind your buddies that THEY are the ones paying for the advertising/hype associated with their bows. THEY are paying for the name.

can the "X" tell the difference? Can the deer(or cattle)tell which bow was used to stick a broadhead in it's vitals? Not like a 4pt shot w a Hoyt is gonna be trash talking a 12pt shot by a Martin cuz the bow that killed him is "better". Right?

point is,they all get the job done. Shoot what YOU like and are comfortable with. Save your cash and keep out-shootin your buds
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Martins are few and far between around here as well. Everything seems to be that other "M" name, or the Pearson that a local dealer sells. The few times anyone says something about my Martins, I simply let them shoot my bows. They find ouot that I have the same or better speed, accuracy, and a quieter and more shock free bow than any of them do. Then I tell them the price I paid just to piss them off. lol
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would I want to shoot the Waffle when I can just put syrup on it and eat it?LOL
    Seriously, I'm not against the other companies; I just like my Martin.

Now, you wonder why your archery buddies want you to switch brands? That's because they're jealous that you spent less money on all of your bows together than they did on only two or three of their bows.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

It does come down to a few things. Some people compare and say that the finish on Martin bows is not as precise. There may be some credence to this, but functionally most bows are very similar. They use limb material supplied by one or two manufacturers. They have machined cams and other parts. They are all fairly quiet, fast, and vibration free if speaking about parallel limbs. So if the main difference some see is in the finish then I would have to ask if that is worth several hundred dollars more. If it's a hunting bow most likely it's going to get some dings and scratches anyway so what's another imperfection in the finish really going to mean.

Value for the buck is one thing I consider. Martin has been using Stone Mt. strings on their pro series bows for a few years. Now they are using premium HH strings on all the bows. Not something you see with some of the "high priced" other bows.

I don't think I would consider customer service much of an issue. Martin is one of the best, but other companies are good, too, in most cases. They have to be. This is a highly competitive industry and CS reputation is a major selling point today.

One of the biggest reason Martin isn't as popular is simply because the dealer base isn't as wide spread. Dealers have learned that they can make more profit from selling those higher priced bows so that's what they offer. From a business sense I can't blame them. It also comes down to what kind of customer base is in an area. If you can't sell as many bows because there aren't as many people then you'd want to make as much profit on each bow as you can. But selling only higher priced bows also leaves room for the box stores to grab some of those potential customers.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

mathews and bowtech are the main bows that are shot and sold in my neck opf the woods.my martin dealer is a hour away and carries very few martins yet he stocks mathews and hoyt and pse.ware i go to shoot the bad a$$ 3d course is at a bowtec dealers shop.i know 3 martin shooters and one of them is swithching to bowtech because it cost alot so it got to be the best...ha ha ha.ive walked into the bowtech shop ware i shoot the 3ds,and he has a indoor shoot so i wanted to shoot through some paper.well one of the bt owneras had enough %$##& to say to me...sorry you own a martin.well i un im going to stop ther.but after i took a few shot them bt owners stopd and watched,then said wow that is one quit bow and it looks fast.so stick with what you like,shoot what you want.go ahead and buy a bow of your choice.just keep your martin around when you start thinking about that 800-1000 you just spent on you new and improved bow.im not raging on ya just do what you want and be happy with what you do

Post Thanks / Like

I have never caved in to peer pressure. Have always went my own way and prefer to be the "oddball" or different. Should have seen the looks & heard the comments when I took a 2010 Oneida Kestrel to a 3D shoot. Placed 15th in a class of 156. I enjoy being different.
    I think Mr. Fisher's comments are very accurate. The Martin finish is in my opinion needing help to be in the "upper class" world. I was in Sportsmans Warehouse when the new shipment of Martins were taken out of the boxes for display. Two Onzas, two Silencers, four Ridge hunters, three Panteras, and two Exiles. While looking them over you could easily tell they had a three piece riser. A simple adjustment to the CNC machine or a sanding wheel would correct this issue. Several had spots where the dip was coming up. Two had marks on the idler wheel that were "fixed" with a black sharpie. Not good in my book for being right out of the box.
    As Barry said, nothing to curb functionality from a hunting standpoint but disappointing from a consumers point of view. Especially compared to the new Mathews, Bowtechs, PSE's, Bears, and Hoyt's that are right along side them. Judging from talking with people in this area, most of the "trash talk" comes from the lower prices. How can a $400 bow compete and be as advanced as a $900 bow? Some say they are noisy, some say they are ugly, and some don't like how they feel.
    This is no different than the Ford, Chevy, Dodge battle or the Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki one. I say shoot what you like and feels comfortable to YOU. I got a great deal on my BT and it's very comfortable in my hand, that's why I own it. I Will have a Firecat 360 when the left hand model is released. Most likely will pick up another Oneida in time. Wanna pick on me for shooting one? Be my guest, I'm a big boy & can take it.
    On another note. Mathews , Bowtech, Bear, Hoyt, and PSE are pumping so much into marketing on tv with all their sponsored hunters. Trying to convince everyone they need what they are shooting. Ted Nugent is the only tv personality that I've seen with a Martin, and an older one at that. I seen a show where Jim Burnworth was razzin him (Ted) for shooting a four year old bow. Ted's response was, if it ain't broke don't fix it!!
    Last edited by NuttyNative; 03-30-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel