Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New string/cable on Firecat TR1

Post Thanks / Like

Default New string/cable on Firecat TR1

I am going to replace the factory Double Helix string on my 2010 Firecat TR1 with a new one. I think I am going to go with an Extreme Bowstring. This is the first bow I have owned with a cable roller. The factory string is not served where it passes through the roller. Should it be, or is it normal to have un-served string/cable going through the roller? I didn't even think about it until I read something about it on Extreme's website.

I have installed components and tuned my bows many times before, but this will actually be the first time for me to replace my own string and cable on a modern bow. Are there any other considerations I should think about when ordering a new string from them? I am planning on just using Martin's Specs for the length (90" string, 34.5" cable) instead of measuring. I think I will go with the Astro. http://www.extremebowstrings.com/p-1...ble-astro.aspx

Any thoughts on Extreme strings? They seem to get good reviews.
    2010 Martin Firecat TR1 70#
    QAD Ultra-Rest
    AMP Black Gold 0.019" sight
    GoldTip XT Hunter 5575 (white wrap and 3 barred white feathers)
    Nocturnal lighted nock (love 'em!)
    Muzzy 100

Post Thanks / Like

you dont need serving on the ccs.just your string is fine.i got wc string/cabel on my 10 bengal and i have the ccs and have had no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard good reviews about them, too. Just checked their website and the price is good. I'd go for it. Somebody around here has to be a guinea pig. Just remember to let us in on what you find later.

As for serving? It won't hurt to serve where it passes through the rollers. I would be more inclined to get it served where it rolls over the idler wheel. I'd call Extreme and see what they have to say about it. Afterall, they are the experts.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin/Rytera Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

The string and cable both should be served at the CCS and the string should also be served at the idler.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    The string and cable both should be served at the CCS and the string should also be served at the idler.
    Is this how it should be on the factory string's also?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martinbowhunter View Post
    Is this how it should be on the factory string's also?
    IMO they should be served, yes. I know Martin did serve them when the ccs was first introduced in 09, then by mid 2010, they had quit serving the ccs.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO they should be served, yes. I know Martin did serve them when the ccs was first introduced in 09, then by mid 2010, they had quit serving the ccs.
    Thank's. also, what size serving should i use to serve these area's?

Post Thanks / Like

Just food for thought,the last bow i had was a browning illusion,and i got new string and cable for it,idler area was served,stock string was not.I called pse about this and they told me not to have serving in that area as derailing problems could happen,also the idler was designed for string not to have serving over idler wheel.I took bow back and had serving over idler removed.
    I notice these martinss are same way,just sayin....................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    Just food for thought,the last bow i had was a browning illusion,and i got new string and cable for it,idler area was served,stock string was not.I called pse about this and they told me not to have serving in that area as derailing problems could happen,also the idler was designed for string not to have serving over idler wheel.I took bow back and had serving over idler removed.
    I notice these martinss are same way,just sayin....................
    Most if not all of the PSE single cam bows have idlers that are designed specifically not to have serving on the string at the idler. The idler tracks on the PSE's are much wider than the tracks on Martins idlers.

Advantage Custom Strings