Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do limb Bolts Back out?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why Do limb Bolts Back out?

I have noticed on my bow that the limb bolts back out an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn in as little as 20 shots. I have never let them go any further so I don't know just how far they would go. I have the bolts backed off 5 turns to condition my muscles to shooting and wonder if this has something to do with it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I think five turn's is to much to have them backed out. I'm purty sure your not supposed to back them out more than 4 turn's if your still planning on shooting them. What limb's do you have 45-60- 55-70? Also, do you know what poundage your shooting at the moment?
    Last edited by martinbowhunter; 03-31-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I have noticed on my bow that the limb bolts back out an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn in as little as 20 shots. I have never let them go any further so I don't know just how far they would go. I have the bolts backed off 5 turns to condition my muscles to shooting and wonder if this has something to do with it?
    Have you checked the gap between the limb and riser w/ a feeler gauge. I was wondering if it is all limb bolt movement or is the facing washer rotating also with the rotor cup limb support in close proximity could you be getting a teeter-totter effect??? (due to the 5 turn back off)...I'm no pro but was just wondering. That type of vibration might back out the bolt.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking you should go one full turn in on the limb bolt's minimum. I'f you will be able to pull it back. Try it out. I think this will solve your problem. And yes, check to make sure it's not just the washer, as the poster above me mentioned. So put a mark on the lims also. Do you have a bow scale?
    Last edited by martinbowhunter; 03-31-2011 at 03:30 PM.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe the limb bolts are backing out. I believe the outer washer is spinning. Do to the same reasons mentioned above. The limb bolts can be out 5 turns but it would be better for them to be out only 4 turns, putting more pressure on the bolt and limb washer.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have had it at 4 turns out and it did it there too. I will mark the washer to limb and see what that shows. The washer doesn't turn when rotating the bolt but who knows?

The limbs are 45-60#
    Firecat 400

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I have had it at 4 turns out and it did it there too. I will mark the washer to limb and see what that shows. The washer doesn't turn when rotating the bolt but who knows?

The limbs are 45-60#
    Line up the white dots then put a piece of scotch tape over both the washer and limb bolt. Then shoot for awhile. Then you will see if it is the washer.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think the guys are on the right track. One thing I do, after my bolts are set where I want them, I always put a mark on the bolt head in line with the split in the limbs. Basically, bottom dead center on the top bolt, top dead center on the bottom bolt. That way, I always have a mark regardless of what happens to the washers, etc.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

looks like limb bolt and washer are moving around.put it in rvn draw weight then go no less then 3 or 4 turns.might be that you should get differt limbs for now if you are wantin to train your arms for more weight,that way you can max out the limbe and dont have to worrie.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to let all you guys in on a little secret. Get you a good little supply of nylon or brass tipped set screws to fit in the side of thre barrel nuts. Use them to lock the limb bolts in place once you adjust them. Then there is no need to put any marks on the limb bolts of bezels (washers).

Now as to the issue of backing the limbs too much. I don't recommend this for long term shooting, but I have shot a 55# Martin bow backed off to 27# while trying to recover from a muscle loss issue. This was 3 years ago. I don't remember just how many turns that was but It was about 8 turns.

I happen to be blessed right now with a Rytera Nemisis that requires 5 turns to reduce peak weight by 10#. Going by this I have to assume that to get the 15# range set to it's minimum I'd have to take a total of 7 1/2 turns off. Not that I intend to, but knowing that Martin usually shows a 3# difference per turn this one baffles me a bit. Also knowing that I can turn the limb bolts out about 12 turns and they are still in one side of the barrel nut I would feel quite safe shooting it with a mere 5 turns off.

And please note that I don't advocate backing limb bolts out more than 5 turns for an extended period of time, but for short term or spedcial conditions I don't think it would hurt.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver