Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do limb Bolts Back out?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I did while Barry was typing. LOL

This should give me all the info I need.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I'm going to let all you guys in on a little secret. Get you a good little supply of nylon or brass tipped set screws to fit in the side of thre barrel nuts. Use them to lock the limb bolts in place once you adjust them. Then there is no need to put any marks on the limb bolts of bezels (washers).
    Barry

I'm going to pull a Hutch here, do you have any pictures? I don't grasp this coming from the side?

Thanks
    Mark
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

OK, as per request here are the pics. The one of the set screw is a little out of focus but notice the brass end which is to keep from messing up the bolt threads. The ones I have are about 7/16" long, but even 1/4" would be fine. The thread size is 1/4-20. I have mine screwed in on the right side where quiver bolts would mount, but they can go on either side. In other words, they fit right in the end of the barrel nut.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Barry

Thanks for the pictures. I hadn't noticed that the barrel nuts are threaded! I wasn't where I could at at my bow until just now and took a look. Brilliant!

I already used white out so that will tell me what is moving until I can find these set-screws. I'll have to try Ace hardware and see if they have anything like that. Are they used for anything in particular? Thanks for giving the size too!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

They're used for any application such as this where you need a lock-down without mashing the threads of the main bolt. So nothing in particular that I'm aware of. I had these in a Golden Eagle repair kit from 1998. If I were buying any I would get them with nylon tips and only 1/4" long. As you can see these stick out a little so shorter would be closer to a flush fit. Nice thing about them is that it negates the need to put any marks on the bow. Believe me, the limb bolts aren't going to vibrate out with them in place.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Again, thanks! That is such an effective method of capturing the bolt and convenient too. Well, if I can find those bolts. I'm sure someone will have them but I might have to order a truck full. LOL
    Firecat 400

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well we still learn something new every day. Thanks Barry for the info.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

The verdict is in. The proof is irrefutable. Okay, I have a solid answer based on fact.

The limb bolts are turning and it isn't the washers/bezels. The white out doesn't lie. The interesting thing is I haven't even shot the bow. This is just 20-30 cycles of the bow trying to get my peep to rotate into position correctly and changing the draw length. I will be trying to find some set screws like Barry is using.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. My cell phone camera takes great shots only when it wants to.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Glad to know you figured out what was actually spinning. And thank's to Barry you have a solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: I bought two kinds of soft set screws, cupped brass and nylon tipped steel. The brass seem to work better IMO. Both have to be cranked down quite hard to stop the limb bolts from backing out but they do work. The nylon tipped part is only 3/16" deep and I don't know if that is enough. One got tore up good and the other was just okay when I took them out. I had to remove them so the folks at Martin wouldn't curse me when they work on my bow. Maybe I should have left them in there for a hint?

Has anyone else had their bolts move on them? If I hadn't marked them I would have never known.
    Firecat 400