Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do limb Bolts Back out?

Post Thanks / Like

You don't want to send them to Martin with your bow. Chances are pretty good that you won't get them back, but I can understand you wanting to send them a message. Glad you played guinea pig and got both brass and nylon. Now we know that nylon doesn't work as well. And just to help everybody out just where did you find them and what was the approx cost?

I'm lucky I guess. Have a Fastenal store about two miles from my house. 20 or so archery clubs within 35 miles---3D season is going to start soon. Two good proshops within 35 miles---Kinseys and Lancaster. No floods. No hurricanes or tornadoes. No wildfires, earthquakes, or mudslides. What's not to like about this area?
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Two good proshops within 35 miles---Kinseys and Lancaster. No floods. No hurricanes or tornadoes. No wildfires, earthquakes, or mudslides. What's not to like about this area?
    Probably the long winters, even though I don't mind snow.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    Probably the long winters, even though I don't mind snow.
    You got me on that one. I do get tired of the drab gray for during the winter months. I can deal with the snow. It's not as bad as what Sonny had this past winter.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    You don't want to send them to Martin with your bow. Chances are pretty good that you won't get them back, but I can understand you wanting to send them a message. Glad you played guinea pig and got both brass and nylon. Now we know that nylon doesn't work as well. And just to help everybody out just where did you find them and what was the approx cost?

I'm lucky I guess. Have a Fastenal store about two miles from my house. 20 or so archery clubs within 35 miles---3D season is going to start soon. Two good proshops within 35 miles---Kinseys and Lancaster. No floods. No hurricanes or tornadoes. No wildfires, earthquakes, or mudslides. What's not to like about this area?
    I didn't think to send them with an explanation. My bow is all boxed up and ready to go. I seem to be the only one who has had bolts back out so I doubt they would add them.

I bought them from McMaster-Carr. Both types and shipping were about $18 if I remember correctly. Either brass tipped steel (like you have) or the solid cupped brass (like I have) will be the most durable IMO. I wish they had solid round tip brass but they don't.

I the nylon pad were thicker than 3/16" I think they would work best as they are designed for vibration. They did have some solid nylon set screws but they were expensive and I didn't know if I would get the required pressure needed?

You are very lucky to have all those stores/shops near you. Thank God for the Internet and UPS! I might have to move there and be your neighbor! PA sounds expensive, and I don't think I could talk the wife into the winters.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I didn't think to send them with an explanation. My bow is all boxed up and ready to go. I seem to be the only one who has had bolts back out so I doubt they would add them.

I bought them from McMaster-Carr. Both types and shipping were about $18 if I remember correctly. Either brass tipped steel (like you have) or the solid cupped brass (like I have) will be the most durable IMO. I wish they had solid round tip brass but they don't.

I the nylon pad were thicker than 3/16" I think they would work best as they are designed for vibration. They did have some solid nylon set screws but they were expensive and I didn't know if I would get the required pressure needed?

You are very lucky to have all those stores/shops near you. Thank God for the Internet and UPS! I might have to move there and be your neighbor! PA sounds expensive, and I don't think I could talk the wife into the winters.
    Cost of living isn't much more than down your way. Besides, if I told your wife how many malls are around here she might jump at the chance and you'd have to temper your buying archery gear. You'd be one poor puppy.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good to me Barry, but I think it will take more than malls to get momma away from her family. I'll work on it though!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Default An alternative

If you're having trouble finding the special setscrews, you may want a cheaper alternative.

Drop a airgun pellet or an appropriate sized lead shot in the hole then put a regular setscrew down hard on top of it. We do this all the time at work and they work great.

Best of luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Love Tinkering

I love to tinker and this has been one good tinkering thread, the set screw idea is cool, and then the idea of a plastic pellet or ball bearing to use a regular set screw, money saving, love it, thanks fellas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peace View Post
    I love to tinker and this has been one good tinkering thread, the set screw idea is cool, and then the idea of a plastic pellet or ball bearing to use a regular set screw, money saving, love it, thanks fellas.
    Do not use a steel ball bearing or you will mash your threads down and be in for a real treat when it comes time to back the bolt out! I noticed that the BBs for BB guns aren't copper anymore, they are aluminum. I will try squeezing one in some pliers to see if it is a soft alloy. If it is they may work well too.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Went to fastenal to get those brass tipped set screws and it happened that a bow tech worked there? He advised me not to use set screws in case they could possibly damage my limb bolts. He recommended blue loctite instead.
    He also insisted I stop letting out the limb bolts to twist my cables. Insisted it was hard on my bow and things change everytime I let them out and run into more problems down the road. I did get invited to his house though to use his press and teach me some stuff I don't know his truck did have hoyt stickers on it, is he right about harming my bow?
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows