Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do limb Bolts Back out?

Post Thanks / Like

This situation must be discouraging.
    Have you asked Martin to replace the entire hardware set including all male/female threaded items? Roto's, bolts etc.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

I called Joel up at Martin customer service and he sent me out new limb bolts and barrel nuts. He was as surprised as me that the bolts continue to back out with setscrews to hold them.

Yesterday I got around to installing the items. My original set came from Martin coated in a tacky red grease. I have been lubing them up with a white lithium based gun grease since as is in the house and handy. I reapplied the grease and reassembled the bow minus set screws. I marked the screws with a couple dots from a paint pen. I shot it and within 25 shots the bolts were starting to back out. @%^$#&&*@^@!!!!! Not quite as bad as before but they were moving.

This morning I pulled it all apart again and I removed all the grease from the barrel nut threads and limb bolts with brake cleaner. If there is any lube it is very minute! I will shoot it today and see if that helps keep them in place. I like having them coated to help with rust but I have to figure this out and soon! If this doesn't work I am plumb out of ideas. I am apparently the only person with this problem.

Do any of you guys mark your bolts and keep an eye on them? Maybe they are moving and you just don't know it?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't watched mine, but my DW hasn't changed.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

None of my limb bolts are moving.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

ES

How can you be positive of that, are you marking them?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 2006 P3 that did this. Of course I never shoot my bows with the bolts bottomed. One day I was practicing and at 20 yards the poi kept going down and down. It finally settled about 8" low and I'd had enough. Started checking things out and found that the top limb bolt was backing out. That's where I got the idea of the set screws in the side of the barrel nuts. After that I had no problems. It's simply vibration that causes it.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Ever figure this out? I have marked mine with a pencil, but am thinking of putting a white dot from a paint marker on mine just to see if this is an issue with my bow also.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I shot it about 45 times and it seems to have stayed put, but it is hard to tell, they might have moved ever so slightly. If I put another 50 or so through it I should be able to tell if they are staying put or not.

It is 108* outside so I had to take a break, the sweat was running into my eyes faster than I could shoot!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Shot a few more arrows in the now 110* heat. They are definitely backing out, but not to the same extent as the old bolts. So the lube may have been contributing to the backing out but not all of it. I haven't tried it with the bolts cranked all the way in either. Bottom line is I have a problem still, just not as pronounced.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

MLN, not sure if this will work or not, but worth a try. They make an automotive anti-seize that is designed for headbolts on a motor. It's a combination anti-seize and threadlock. If it'll keep headbolts from working loose, it should keep your limb bolts in place. Good thing about it is, it's pretty easy to remove as well. It'll also rust proof your bolts. Not sure what the name of it is, but I know they make it. I'll try to find out the name tomorrow if I can.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.