Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Why Do limb Bolts Back out?

Post Thanks / Like

never did try the set screws though, the guy at fastenal didn't want to sell them. thought about the lead pellet trick the one guy talked about and just buying regular set screws
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boobowbender View Post
    the guy at fastenal didn't want to sell them.
    Why?

Without the set screws my old mojo wouldn't have been shootable!

Post Thanks / Like

I shot a lot today with the limb bolts tight and they didn't move. Set screws might work with these parts. However I may just keep shooting it maxed out. With a little more shooting and some sore muscles I think I will be able to keep it maxed out. I hate to do this but I need to get consistent since hunting season is fast upon me.
    Firecat 400

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

How much extra # is it now?

Post Thanks / Like

Destroyer
    I went up about 7 pounds to maxed out according to my cheap scale.

Sonny
    I marked the bolt heads. I have pictures in my profile if you would like to take a look. Maybe not with dial up. I marked the bolt heads and the washers originally and then I found out they can turn or move when you take the bow apart. Since then I use the split in the end of the limb and a mark on the limb bolt as they are constants.

I know it is flat crazy that I would have two sets that move but that is God's honest truth. Clarifiation time. I have had movement when the bolts weren't seated completely. I started out running around 52 pounds when I first got the bow. I was at 55-56 prior to and after installing the new hardware. I have since run max poundage (62-63) and I don't have any problems other than some muscles that are getting used to the extra poundage. I can draw it fine and it will only get easier with time. I honestly think that set screws might stop any movement with this set of bolts and barrel nuts. However, now that I have everything sighted for the new draw weight I'm not going to go back and try it. I have other issues I have to work out and I am flat sick of working on this bow but I won't go into that right now!
    Firecat 400

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I have since run max poundage (62-63) and I don't have any problems other than some muscles that are getting used to the extra poundage.
    7# is a bit of a jump especially with cats. Whats your accuracy like, any noticeable change?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    7# is a bit of a jump especially with cats. Whats your accuracy like, any noticeable change?
    I think I am used to it now. Accuracy is something I don't have just yet as I'm fairly new and too inconsistent. However, I did Robin hood an arrow today and ruined 2 others so maybe the accuracy will eventually get there. If I could shoot half as many Xs as Sonny I would be very happy. Very happy!

Last edited by MLN1963; 08-05-2011 at 06:40 PM.
    Firecat 400

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Need to be shooting at separate dots me think!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    ES

How can you be positive of that, are you marking them?
    Yes, the bolt head, bezel and limbs are all marked with a paint pen
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 08-06-2011 at 06:26 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

none of my limb bolts have ever mover on my bengal.i keep good markes on them too