Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: need some advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default need some advice

im a new owner of a 2011 martin firecat400 im new to martin bows i was just curious if theres anything anyone would reccomend to quiet it down? ive got bowjacks silencers on the riser limbs string limsaver minis on the rest and sights. Are the new 2011 bows just that loud with the newstring deadstop they designed? would appreciate any feed back! Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like

Go and read the "How to quiet an SOS" thread. Also i prefer cat whisker's on my strings. Also, do you happen to know what grain arrow your shooting and what poundage is your DW? And last but not least....is your bow timed right? Oh yeah and, Welcome. You have a very nice bow/shooter.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and congrats on your new bow.

SL
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

Start with the SOS about a credit card width from the string. Move around and see how it works for you, then when you are happy, try taking the bowjax off and compare to it with them on. Good luck. Post some pics when you get a chance, we all love to see what everyone else is shooting.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

First off...Welcome! Another thread that may be of intrest to you is back on page 5 titled "Loud Bow Solutions". The guys that have good Martin experience on this forum(not me I'm new to Martin also) know what they're talking about so give them some time to help out. The cat whiskers are a good first step. You should try to post pics of the cams; they'll probably need to take a look at them. Good Luck.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

There are a number of things that can make any bow loud. Check the draw modules to make sure they are tight, check the cam timing to make sure it is right on. Check all your accessories to make sure they are tight. If using a drop away rest, some of them can be quite loud.

As was mentioned in previous posts, adjust the SOS some. Anywhere from just lightly touching the string to a 1/16" away will normally produce the best results. Also as was mentioned already, read my post on Silencing the SOS. The old school cat whiskers seem to be coming back into popularity as they do seem to work better than the other types of string silencers.

I just sold a FC400 yesterday to a guy who up untill then had shot only Diamond single cam bows, he was extremely impressed by how much faster and quieter the 400 was than his other bow.

Welcome to the forum.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martinbowhunter View Post
    Go and read the "How to quiet an SOS" thread. Also i prefer cat whisker's on my strings. Also, do you happen to know what grain arrow your shooting and what poundage is your DW? And last but not least....is your bow timed right? Oh yeah and, Welcome. You have a very nice bow/shooter.
    I am shootin pretty light arrows with the 100gr tip they weigh 296 grains, im shotin gold tip velocity pro's. i am shootin 68 for dw. and to be honest i have no idea whyou meanis it tined right?

Post Thanks / Like

I would say you could use at minimum an additional 100 gr for arrow weight. When you have a 2 cam bow it is critical that they are in proper sequence through the draw and shot if not, from what I understand you will have string slap etc. Again I will say wait for some of the pro's to fully explain.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinarcher View Post
    I am shootin pretty light arrows with the 100gr tip they weigh 296 grains, im shotin gold tip velocity pro's. i am shootin 68 for dw. and to be honest i have no idea whyou meanis it tined right?
    This is most likley a good bit of the problem, you should be shooting an arrow with a minimum weight of 340 grains with your DW. 68# x 5gr=340grs.

Shooting an arrow below 5gr per # of DW is getting close to dryfiring the bow. I only shoot 60-61#'s and my arrows weigh 370grs.

What spine are those GT's to come in that light ?

Advantage Custom Strings

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinarcher View Post
    that's dangerous territory,Bro. Your bow is hating you for this. Bump the arrow weight up by 100gr minimum and you will notice a significant drop in the noise level and your limbs will last longer,too. You really don't want those limbs to explode and embed the cams in your skull,do you? That would be similar to using a shotgun to shoot an axe head...just to put it into perspective for you. I hope your scared now. Just lookin out for you.

BTW,welcome to the forum. Bow pics are required to be a "cool kis". Right Hutch?
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340