Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do Peep Sights Rotate During The Draw?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why Do Peep Sights Rotate During The Draw?

I'm curious why the peeps seem to rotate on some bows and not on others. Mine rotates but I see pictures of some bows and the sight and D-Loop are straight back.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it has to do w/ how stretched in your string is. Hutch will be able to really tell you. But depending on the quality of string and pre stretch of string when it is made a peep will react to the string wrap rotation under draw. Average strings will stretch more thus rotate/tighten a wrap more. The peep is mid string between wraps so when the wraps tighten and roll so does the peep.

And I may be all wrong!
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjchasman View Post
    I believe it has to do w/ how stretched in your string is. Hutch will be able to really tell you. But depending on the quality of string and pre stretch of string when it is made a peep will react to the string wrap rotation under draw. Average strings will stretch more thus rotate/tighten a wrap more. The peep is mid string between wraps so when the wraps tighten and roll so does the peep.

And I may be all wrong!
    X2 Right on.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just for clarification, I'm talking about rotating during the draw cycle, not from stretching after repeated use.

My peep is nearly on the back side of the bow but rotates to nearly the proper position at full draw. I'm still "training" it for now.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Just for clarification, I'm talking about rotating during the draw cycle, not from stretching after repeated use.
    It's the same idea during the draw cycle. Think about it. You pull on the string, which tightens it up, and causes the peep to rotate.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

My peep is nearly on the back side of the bow but rotates to nearly the proper position at full draw. I'm still "training" it for now.
    Usually when a peep has a consistant rotation during the draw cycle its caused by one of the servings being wound on in a different direction than the others.

If the peep rotation is inconsistant or keeps moving, its normally because the strands are still stretching.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

How do you handle getting it to turn that last 1/4 turn? It seems that is where I'm at right now.
    Firecat 400

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you handle getting it to turn that last 1/4 turn? It seems that is where I'm at right now.
    Take some pressure of the string, pull the peep out and resplit the string a 1/4" closer to where in needs to be.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason the peep turns is, if either of the end servings is opposite of the way the string is twisted, when you pull the string back to draw, it is basically stabilizing one side and untwisting the other. Thus causing the peep to turn.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Take some pressure of the string, pull the peep out and resplit the string a 1/4" closer to where in needs to be.

Hutch
    Does it have to have exactly the same number of strands on each side? Them small strands will be hard to count! Anyone now how many strands are in the HH strings?
    Firecat 400