Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arrow weight to draw weight?

Post Thanks / Like

Default arrow weight to draw weight?

is there a rule of thume for arrow weight to draw weight.my arrows are rated for 75-95 pounds.and weigh 8.9gpi.but im wondering if there is a general rule for oh lets say a 60 lbs bow should it weigh 300 grains,or a 70 lbs bow should that arrow weigh 400 grains.my bow is at 73 lbs and my arrow weighs 382 grains.should i turn down my bow or get a more hevy arrow for that weight.i just get a little lost on this
    Last edited by gravedigger; 04-03-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes there is a rule of thumb. minimum of 5 grain's per pound of DW. So a bow with a 60#DW should be shooting a minimum of 300 grains including field point. And a bow with 70# of DW should be shooting a minimum of 350 grain and so on and so forth. So for your bow you need a minimum of 365 grain's. So your fine. I'm shooting 69# and my arrow's weigh in at 432 grains. So anything over the 5 grain per pound of DW is personal preferance...........Got it? Simple right? And personaly, if i were you i would go up in arrow weight (this does not mean you have to change your arrow). But this is just me. I don't like being that close (17 grains) To the 5 grain per pound of DW rule of thumb. Or you could just back the limb bolt's out, say, a 1/2 turn to 3/4 turn each so your around 70#, Or you could just add weight to your field point. Or you could leave your arrow's just the way they are. But it's all up to you. What grain field points are you using?
    Last edited by martinbowhunter; 04-03-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravediggermtv View Post
    is there a rule of thume for arrow weight to draw weight.my arrows are rated for 75-95 pounds.and weigh 8.3gpi.but im wondering if there is a general rule for oh lets say a 60 lbs bow should it weigh 300 grains,or a 70 lbs bow should that arrow weigh 400 grains.my bow is at 73 lbs and my arrow weighs 382 grains.should i turn down my bow or get a more hevy arrow for that weight.i just get a little lost on this
    No! a 60# bow will weigh 60#s and same for a 70# bow ........

Post Thanks / Like

your funy...lol.i got it ez enought to remember.im taking my bow down to 60 or 65 pounds after i can shoot.i got to take it ez,dont want to re fracture the hand befor hunting comes around..and i shooot 100 grn points and bh

Post Thanks / Like

Lol. Yes take it eazy on yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with martin, 5gr. /# draw weight. That's a bare minimum regardless of draw weight. The one thing not many people think of is, the more arrow weight you have, (within reason), the more energy that is transferred to the arrow. That means less energy transferred into the bow. Thus, a quieter, longer lasting bow, and better penetration. Looking back on things over the past few years, I think that was a major factor in alot of the limb problems most companies were having. People shooting right at that 5gpi. rating, trying to get the most out of their bows for speed. Well, one day I figured up what my arrows SHOULD weigh according to all the specs, and guess what, they didn't weight what they should have. They came up about 12 gr. light. Still just over the 5gpi mark, but too light for my liking. I try to shoot something at least 45 gr. over the minimum weight for that draw weight. Good compromise between speed, and silence.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

5 gr/lb is, IMO, a stupid rule. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!! Just because a manufacurer declares that 5 gr/lb is a hard and fast rule everybody accepts it as gospel. Hasn't anybnody ever heard of the AMO Minimum Arrow Weight Chart? You really need to look at this and do some scrutinizing. This chart is based on more scientific criteria than just an arbitrary number for all shooters, and if you look it's a safer way to shoot for most.

Compare short and long draws on this chart for a given cam and draw weight. This chart, if you look, suggests an arrow heavier than 5 gr/lb when draw lengths get up around 29 or 30" yet bow manufacturers say 5 gr/lb is OK. Notice that draw lengths for the same setup can use lighter than 5 gr/lb.

This all based on what we know. Energy in equals energy out, inus fristion, hysteresis, and other losses. Meaning? Longer draw stores more energy in the bow than shorter draw. Therefore if all shooters shoot the same 5 gr/lb min. then it's obvious that there is more energy left over from the longer draw guys; energy that goes into the bow.

I could go further with this, but challenge others to study this chart and see for themselves what I'm alluding to. We can discuss it further, but for now I have to go shooting. See ya later.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    5 gr/lb is, IMO, a stupid rule. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!! Just because a manufacurer declares that 5 gr/lb is a hard and fast rule everybody accepts it as gospel. Hasn't anybnody ever heard of the AMO Minimum Arrow Weight Chart? You really need to look at this and do some scrutinizing. This chart is based on more scientific criteria than just an arbitrary number for all shooters, and if you look it's a safer way to shoot for most.

Compare short and long draws on this chart for a given cam and draw weight. This chart, if you look, suggests an arrow heavier than 5 gr/lb when draw lengths get up around 29 or 30" yet bow manufacturers say 5 gr/lb is OK. Notice that draw lengths for the same setup can use lighter than 5 gr/lb.

This all based on what we know. Energy in equals energy out, inus fristion, hysteresis, and other losses. Meaning? Longer draw stores more energy in the bow than shorter draw. Therefore if all shooters shoot the same 5 gr/lb min. then it's obvious that there is more energy left over from the longer draw guys; energy that goes into the bow.

I could go further with this, but challenge others to study this chart and see for themselves what I'm alluding to. We can discuss it further, but for now I have to go shooting. See ya later.
    Yes bfisher, you are correct. But the op just asked if there was a rule of thumb for this. And according to your martin bow manual that rule of thumb is not to shoot your bow with less than 5gr per pound of DW. So i will continue to do what the manufacturer ask. Also bfisher, if you NOTICED what i recomended to the OP i said " if i were you i would go heavier on your arrows". This is for three reasons bfisher, 1) So the bow is more quiet! 2) so your more on the "safe" side. 3) so longer draw archers don't have so much energy going into the bow during the shot.
    Last edited by martinbowhunter; 04-03-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martinbowhunter View Post
    Yes bfisher, you are correct. But the op just asked if there was a rule of thumb for this. And according to your martin bow manual that rule of thumb is not to shoot your bow with less than 5gr per pound of DW. So i will continue to do what the manufacturer ask. Also bfisher, if you NOTICED what i recomended to the OP i said " if i were you i would go heavier on your arrows". This is for three reasons bfisher, 1) So the bow is more quiet! 2) so your more on the "safe" side. 3) so longer draw archers don't have so much energy going into the bow during the shot.
    Your point is well taken. And with all due respect instead of answering the OP's question I went off on a tangent. My Apologies to all for that.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Your point is well taken. And with all due respect instead of answering the OP's question I went off on a tangent. My Apologies to all for that.
    no need for an Apologie.it all had to do with my question even if it was not a direct answer.bu i did get what i was looking for.just another not for my mind.but i am turning my bow down to 60 lbs as soon as i can shoot.