Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: arrow weight to draw weight?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravediggermtv View Post
    no need for an Apologie.it all had to do with my question even if it was not a direct answer.bu i did get what i was looking for.just another not for my mind.but i am turning my bow down to 60 lbs as soon as i can shoot.
    You better hurry up and heal, or i will come, and shoot your deer for you. Which i would have no problem doing might i add.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Your point is well taken. And with all due respect instead of answering the OP's question I went off on a tangent. My Apologies to all for that.
    I accept bfisher, just as long as you accept my apologie as well. I was just trying to help the op out, to the best of my ability with what little knowledge i have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martinbowhunter View Post
    You better hurry up and heal, or i will come, and shoot your deer for you. Which i would have no problem doing might i add.
    come on out and get your deer.might be a day hunt for a doe,but opening day there everyware.come get your deer.i will drive.my right hand has a slight fracture down the middel so i dont know how long it will take to heal.i refused treatment so i did not have more money put on my allready spendy med bills.

SonnyThomas

Default arrow weight to draw weight?

bfisher and AMO. Funny how the AMO (now ATA) can have stats showing proper arrows (which comes out heavier than IBO) and bow manufacturers having warranty of 5 grs per pound of draw weight. Of course Hoyt threw in it's two cents last year with their own ATA version of IBO.

Post Thanks / Like

One more advantage to using a heavier arrow, for hunting at least, is the additional momentum gained that translates into greater penetration potential when the arrow hits the game animal. You're chances of getting deeper penetration or a pass-through is increased with a heavier arrow and more so when you combine that with higher FOC. For anyone who wants to learn more on these topics and his extensive broadhead testing I highly recommend reading the Dr Ed Ashby field test reports. They are available here (http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimateb...ubb=forum;f=24) and here (http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/Dr.-Ed-Ashby-W26.aspx). Some very enlightening info he has amassed over his 27 years of study.
    08/13 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67.5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    bfisher and AMO. Funny how the AMO (now ATA) can have stats showing proper arrows (which comes out heavier than IBO) and bow manufacturers having warranty of 5 grs per pound of draw weight. Of course Hoyt threw in it's two cents last year with their own ATA version of IBO.
    Apparently you have looked at the AMO chart and saw what I did for those longer draw lengths. This is exactly the point I try to make. If going by their suggested minimum for 30" draw and 70# and speed cam a person should use an arrow weighing 487 grains; way over the IBO minimum of 350. This works out to be almost 40% heavier than IBO and what manufacturers suggest as a minimum. Reversing the math IBO is 28% less than AMO recommendation. I would think, just using some experience and common sense that there would be a lot less busted limbs and bow problems if shooting the heavier arrow.

Now looking at the short draw archer, say 27" and the same 70# the AMO recommends a 388 grain arrow; still heavier than IBO but in the same proportion to the stored energy in the bow as compared to the 30" model.

So where am I going with this? Simply that the AMO found that they consider to be a safe minimum arrow weight for a certain draw length, draw weight and cam style and make recommendatons in proportion to the stored energy in the bow instead of having some RULE that is supposed to fit all shooters. Man talk about leveling the playing field for 3D????? It'd probably make bow manufacturers more happy, too, as they'd be replacing less limbs and other parts due to shooting arrows too light for the energy being produced.

I'm well aware that some of the lighter arrows seen at short draws and low draw weight would not be suitable for hunting. I'm just suggesting that there are other ways of thinking about the issue of minimum arrow weight other than just taking somebody's word for everything. Hey, if we didn't have a free thinking society we might still be using clubs and rocks to hunt with.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

SonnyThomas

Default arrow weight to draw weight?

Yes, bfisher, I saw the AMO charts some years back. And years back I responded to a magazine article about speed bows. The article covered most of the speedster and using 5 grs of arrow weight per pound. Back then, if I remember correctly, some or even most bows fell under AMO warranty claims. Evidently, I must have struck pretty close to home as my response about warranty claims was printed in a later issue. There were no disclaimers of my response.