Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: building a smoker

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, galvanisied metal does burn with a noxious green gas that is accumulative, meaning that once you breathe it, it will remain in your lungs. But to get to that point, you have to use a torch, or try to weld it.
    However, with that said, we're talking a smoker here, it should never get that hot in the smoker, you want a slow smokey fire, use greener wood, build baffles so that the smoke rolls around your meat. Granddad's salmon smoker was about 8' x 8' with an angled roof, build fire in back, smoke would fill it and continually roll around the fish. Yummy.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    MBH

Did I hear one time that galvanized metal gives off a poisonous gas when hot or burned?
    Yes very true, and when the build was complete you do a pre burn...like any other new grill. just to burn off the c**p. Also as elkslyer mentioned it should't get that hot. A smoker only need to be warm to the touch. If it's red hot then you have a problem....lol

Post Thanks / Like

well MBH thats a nice smoker.looks like it gets the job done.now im starting to think i want to build 2 or three if were not gioing to restor or rebuild the ones we have.i want one bigger then the one you have and then 2 more going down in size.if i do get my elk,anything thats not steak will be jerky,same for the deer.and i think we are going to be getting some beefers at the farm.if ya cant tell we love jerky.i can eat it all day every day.i take 3 of 4 pounds of jerky with me when i go on my walking hunts,just incase

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravediggermtv View Post
    well MBH thats a nice smoker.looks like it gets the job done.now im starting to think i want to build 2 or three if were not gioing to restor or rebuild the ones we have.i want one bigger then the one you have and then 2 more going down in size.if i do get my elk,anything thats not steak will be jerky,same for the deer.and i think we are going to be getting some beefers at the farm.if ya cant tell we love jerky.i can eat it all day every day.i take 3 of 4 pounds of jerky with me when i go on my walking hunts,just incase
    Just build one giant one! Why would you need two smaller ones also? If you dont have enough meat to make a big batch you can still make your smaller batches in the "big" one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martinbowhunter View Post
    Just build one giant one! Why would you need two smaller ones also? If you dont have enough meat to make a big batch you can still make your smaller batches in the "big" one?
    because more is better dont ya know,and i dont eat fish so if one is being used for fish at that time then i have my little one for me.ya i might just have to build one thats a no fish allowd smoker.we have 40 acres its not going to take up any room.plus alot a farmer,redneck,hunting friends who will be wanting to use it or them.i wonder if i should just build a small one in my backyard.just for me kind of thing.i dont know.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't eat fish and you don't eat onions, man are you missing out on thing's. There is nothing better than raw fish (sashimi) and sliced fresh onions mixed together. Yum Yum Hawaiians call that POKE. ofcourse theres more to the mix. Some sea salt, chopped fresh green onions,sesami oil, soy sause <---we call that shoyu here. Man now you made me hungry.
    Last edited by martinbowhunter; 04-05-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't eat fish and you don't eat onions, man are you missing out on thing's. There is nothing better than raw fish (sashimi) and onions mixed together. Yum Yum Hawaiians call that POKE. ofcourse theres more to the mix. Some sea salt,green onions,sesami oil, soy sause <---we call that shoyu here. Man now you made me hungry.
    i dont eat any seafood at al nothing not one little thing,nada,zip zilch.but once a year i do try some smokd salmon,or some crab,lobster and afew others just to see if my taste has changd,and it has not.so its not like i say i dont like seafood or river food and not try it,i do try it and i still dont like it.try to give all food a chance befor i say i wont eat it unless it just looks like puke in a bowl or the smell want to make me throwup.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't eat fish and you don't eat onions, man are you missing out on thing's. There is nothing better than raw fish (sashimi) and sliced fresh onions mixed together. Yum Yum Hawaiians call that POKE. ofcourse theres more to the mix. Some sea salt, chopped fresh green onions,sesami oil, soy sause <---we call that shoyu here. Man now you made me hungry.
    Drool.........
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravediggermtv View Post
    i dont eat any seafood at al nothing not one little thing,nada,zip zilch.but once a year i do try some smokd salmon,or some crab,lobster and afew others just to see if my taste has changd,and it has not.so its not like i say i dont like seafood or river food and not try it,i do try it and i still dont like it.try to give all food a chance befor i say i wont eat it unless it just looks like puke in a bowl or the smell want to make me throwup.
    So what are you gonna say say when I set a plate of fresh abalone in front of you?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    So what are you gonna say say when I set a plate of fresh abalone in front of you?
    i will say thanks but no thanks,i brought my bbq and some steaks lets just incase.i herd about them resturants that seve steak and fish on the same plate,so i will be adding to your meal and then i turn i will be able to eat mine,i will bring the potatos too,well in about 6 months when i can eat a steak.dam this blender food.

but dont get me wrong i love fishing,i just give my fish away