Thread: Saber With Tru Arc Cam

SCOTT LEDANE

Default Saber With Tru Arc Cam

I have recently come across an '05 Saber with Tru Arc cams.
    Does anyone have info on the specs with the Tru Arc cams. I have searched the site but when I hit specs, I can't go to anything.
    Have just purchased this and am getting a little nervous if I did the right thing. Was actually wanting the Pantera but got a good deal on this. Have the Sabers always been cast magnesium? Not sure I like that. I read another thread about limb torque. Got any more info on that? Any info would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I can give it a try, but I'm only getting these numbers from a 2006 catalog.

Saber w/ Tru-Arc cams: A2A- 32 /34" Brace height--8 1/8".

Remember to have the limbs bottomed when you take these measurements. And don't take them as gospel. Spec measurements can vary a little. If they're within 1/4" and you like the way the bow shoots then be happy.

Now, addressing your concerns about the cast mag riser. I wouldn't get all hyper about it. Actually compound bows were around for about 15-20 years with cast risers before the advent of machining them. They were pretty reliable back then and probably casting procedures are even better today.

The riser still has that same limited lifetime warranty like the machined risers. The biggest difference is that the cast riser is lighter tan an aluminum counterpart and cheaper (meaning less expensive). Other than that the bow has all the same parts as the more expensive bows.

As for limb torque? If you take a look at the bow you'll notice that the cables are attached to a slide that pulls them out of the way for fletching clearance. This does indeed create side loading and limb torque. The more the cable rod is rotated away from the string, the shorter the A2A of the bow, and the longer your draw length the more severe it gets. That's one of the reasons I like and shoot the Nitrous X cams. Here again, is it something to worry about? Take a look around the range to see how many bows have cable guard rods. It's technology that's been around for 30 years.

I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions then fire away.

SCOTT LEDANE

The person selling the bow stated it was a 65# bow. I have not seen this. I have only seen 60lb and 70lb. Is this bow offered in a 50-65#? Did this question make sense? Just making sure this bow is on the up and up.

Post Thanks / Like

Scott,

I have two schools of thought about the draw weight.

#1--It might actually be a 45-60 that gets up to 65#. Of course if the string has stretched out then it would be possible, too.

#2-- The original owner may have actually ordered it with 65# limbs. I know. I specially order my bows that way. I only shoot around 50-55# so I order my bows with one size lower limb number than the 60# would have.

#3-- This just jumped into my pea brain. Possible that the string has been twisted to shorten it and this would possibly reduce the draw of a 70# bow to about 65#.

If you look on the side of the limbs where they fit into the limb pocket there will be a number and letter. They read like 3M, or 5M, or 7M. Then you can get onto the spec sheet guide here and see what poundage that limb gives your bow. Also, the Tru Arc was made in two different sizws, acording to draw length. The large cam is for draw lengths of 27-30" The limb numbers I gace you above would be for 28-29" and 50#, 60# and 70# respectively.

ralphy670

I have a Martin Saber 2005 model and it is possible that the strings have strtched and it is drawing 65#. My bow is a 70# Saber and the strings stretched a little this year and I was only registering 66# on the scale.
    Just my opinion though.
    It is a very nice bow to shoot but I wish there was an easier method to find the original specs. The 05 catalouge shows a 32.75 a/a and a 8.75 Brace Height. I can only get a 8.25 BH with new strings even though the a/a is to spec.

SCOTT LEDANE

Well my post was to question the specs the guy was giving me. He was telling me the bow was rated from 50-65 not that it was pulling at 65. This seemed different from all the other martin specs so was wondering what was going on with that. Haven't got the bow in hand yet, but when I get it I can check it over closer.
    Ralphy670, tell me some about your Saber. What kind of speeds are you getting out of it?

xxx
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT LEDANE
    Well my post was to question the specs the guy was giving me. He was telling me the bow was rated from 50-65 not that it was pulling at 65. This seemed different from all the other martin specs so was wondering what was going on with that. Haven't got the bow in hand yet, but when I get it I can check it over closer.
    Ralphy670, tell me some about your Saber. What kind of speeds are you getting out of it?
    The numbers listed on the website are starting points. When you start customizing and ordering special limb combinations things change. If you short string a bow it can change the specifications too.

Also with bow speeds it is as much the arrow as anything else. Diameter, weight, draw length, what's on the string (peep, tubing, suppressors, etc..) also have dramatic effects on speed.

The there is personality. I saw two identical bare Parkers shooting 10-15 fps difference . The bow technician working with the owner said it was likely the bearings on one of the cams was worn and grinding, but it wasn't feeling like that. I figured after that some bows just have personality.

L.O.T.10R

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher
    Scott,

I have two schools of thought about the draw weight.

#1--It might actually be a 45-60 that gets up to 65#. Of course if the string has stretched out then it would be possible, too.

#2-- The original owner may have actually ordered it with 65# limbs. I know. I specially order my bows that way. I only shoot around 50-55# so I order my bows with one size lower limb number than the 60# would have.

#3-- This just jumped into my pea brain. Possible that the string has been twisted to shorten it and this would possibly reduce the draw of a 70# bow to about 65#.

If you look on the side of the limbs where they fit into the limb pocket there will be a number and letter. They read like 3M, or 5M, or 7M. Then you can get onto the spec sheet guide here and see what poundage that limb gives your bow. Also, the Tru Arc was made in two different sizws, acording to draw length. The large cam is for draw lengths of 27-30" The limb numbers I gace you above would be for 28-29" and 50#, 60# and 70# respectively.
    i'v mention this in another thread, but i afraid you gonna miss it. i have martin saber se 06, 60lbs limb with dyna cam system, and i planning to replace it with m-pro cam together with 70lbs limbs. any advise for this? can i keep using same string & cables or do i have to get new set for it? any comment will be appreciated.
    i have switchback xt now, which i bought 3 weeks back. but i still want to shoot my martin saber,and i dont want it freezing in storage just because i have another bow...the reason i change it with new cam system is because i want to get new feeling when i shooting my saber.

Post Thanks / Like

To be truthful I don't have any specs on the M-Pro cam so I can say whether you'd be able to use the same string/cables or not. Swapping the cam itself isn't a big issue. As I mentioned before, the problem you may run into is that you may need different limbs to keep the bow within the specified weight range. My advice would be to give Martin a call (800-541-8902) and see what they recommend.

No doubt the swap can be done, but my thoughts are that with cam, rigging and limbs it might be more cost effective to sell the bow and buy another.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but there is nos sense in telling you a bunch a crap that I don't have facts about.

L.O.T.10R

that's ok. at least i know which direction to go. thanks for the above information.