Thread: what makes a 3-d bow vs hunting bow?

Post Thanks / Like

Default what makes a 3-d bow vs hunting bow?

just curious? in between a onza and a firecat 400 and i know longer is better and the shorter the more manuverable it is but less forgiving. is there really any difference in 3/4 in ata and 1/4 brace?
    Would like to do both and dont spend much time in a blind. very critical about accuracy.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a few other factors that play into it. Like limb angle and riser length just for two.
    The ata of two bows could be the same but the limb angle/riser length could be totally different.
    Between the two your looking at - I would go with the Onza.

Post Thanks / Like

I own both bows, and it could just be me and my shooting, but I am more accurate with the Onza. I get good groups with both, but the Onza is a tighter group everytime.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks. i figured, too bad i liked the looks of the fc better. so what is the deal with risor length and limb angle? never heard that before

SonnyThomas

Default what makes a 3-d bow vs hunting bow?

When thinking of a competition 3D bow we think of ata of 36" and longer and mostly 38" and longer. So neither is what I call a 3D bow. My shortest 3D bow is 37 7\8", a Hoyt ProElite. I've never considered anything shorter.

As for hunting bows. The short ata caught hold and has ran with the ball seeming for ever. I own two great short hunting bows. They hang on the wall and have never seen woods. They have never seen a 3D course either. The fastest, a Pearson TX4 at 33 1/2" ata with R2B2 cams, is rated over 340 fps.

Some one with a really brave heart (or insane) tell Chuck Adams, world renowned bow hunter, his 40+" compound is too long.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

my preferred and most accurate AtA length is 34-35". I have a short,30" AtA Cheetah that I'm pretty accurate with and enjoy shooting very much. The Athens Accomplice 34 is a dream to shoot IMO and my groups are just as tight(shaft to shaft out to 40yds w both bows).

just like everything else archery related,it will come down to what best suits you. But like Sonny stated,competition shooters favor the longer AtA bows. But they're also shooting ranges that the average bowhunter wouldn't dream of for harvesting game.

if your going to do more hunting and casual 3D shooting,the FC400 would suit you just fine. My scores with 34" or shorter bow on a 30 target 3D course average mid-280's. But I'm only shooting 3D as practice for hunting and my bows are set up to hunt.

so it boils down to your preferance and intended usage. IMO,either bow would suit you fine. I can't see a 35" AtA bow being a hinderance in a ground blind,but I've never hunted out of one either
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boobowbender View Post
    just curious? in between a onza and a firecat 400 and i know longer is better and the shorter the more manuverable it is but less forgiving. is there really any difference in 3/4 in ata and 1/4 brace?
    Would like to do both and dont spend much time in a blind. very critical about accuracy.
    To me personally my 3D bow and my hunting bow are the same, I want the same sight, quiver, release and arrows "hunting" foam 3D critters as I do hunting live ones.
    But I'm practicing for solid clean kill shots more so than "10", it just happens that the "10" ring happens to be where the arrow hits now and then

I can't see much difference in 3/4" ATA and 1/4" brace height by the numbers, but how the each bow shoots for you would be more important......accuracy being placed first.
    My perference typically leans toward the longer bows and more forgiving brace heights all else being equal. Matter of fact, prior to getting my 32" Bengal, my bows were typically 38" - 43" (of course I shot fingers prior to this too).
    I use to, and still do, practice shots sitting on the ground, because I feel for me that if I can't draw and shoot from any position with my bow, then I am overbowed.........I have to be very aware of where the limbs are, but I am able to do this even with my 43" Firecat XRG.
    I can only remember once in the 13yrs I used that bow, that in the spot-stalk type hunting I do in timber and sagebrush hills, I caught the lower limb on a branch and blew the shot, where a much shorter bow "might" have made a difference.
    Last edited by RLW; 04-05-2011 at 11:50 AM.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove