Thread: What should I do? Draw length

Post Thanks / Like

Default What should I do? Draw length

My cheetah's short ata keeps my peep to far away for a proper sight picture. The bow is set at 29" DL and I use a d-loop with a true fire release. I was thinking of putting 30" module on and shortening release and d loop to get string closer to eye but it would move the string a little further back than the corner of my mouth. I'm open to suggestions. Can Dl be set at 1/2 increments? If I do move DL to 30" what should I pay attention to as far as string, cable etc.? My Dl is 29 1/2. I read somewhere to short is better than to long with in reason

Post Thanks / Like

rpalt1...you can just slap me for asking but I would like to know a couple things for my own thought process.-- Close your eyes and draw the bow naturally...open your eyes..Is the peep in your line of vision without you moving your eye to it? Second...what size opening peep do you have and what size/type sight window is on your sight?
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say from personal experience that you would be better off with a DL to short,rather to long. For me, the shorter draw forces the bend in my bowarm,consistant pulling into the wall,consistant anchor,no creeping befor the release. I went from 29" draw to 28.5" and watched my groups shrink at all ranges.

I'm shooting a Cheetah,also. 28.5"/60#,d-loop,peep,kisser,tru-ball stinger release. How do you have your release set-up? It's often overlooked,but it should be set so the trigger rests at the second bend of your index finger.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

SonnyThomas

Default What should I do? Draw length

Quote Originally Posted by cjchasman View Post
    rpalt1...you can just slap me for asking but I would like to know a couple things for my own thought process.-- Close your eyes and draw the bow naturally...open your eyes..Is the peep in your line of vision without you moving your eye to it? Second...what size opening peep do you have and what size/type sight window is on your sight?
    Times 2. Hazard of short ata bows is matching the peep to sight to your eyes.

With a draw like you have I always have to ask; How tall are you? Why I ask is, most people of 6 foot tall have approx. a 28.5 draw length and dependant upon a few other things.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 6-2 and just installed a fletcher peep 1/4" cj i won't slap you lol the line of sight is perfect I"m just not getting a full field of view around the outer part of my sight to reference the proper alignment The trigger on my release is right between 1rst and second knuckle. The setup isnt that bad but just tring to tweak it for best consistentcy the sight is a copper 3 pin that im changing to a tru glo xs 4 pin this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem on a bow. I'd always used 2" diameter pin guards, and bought a new sight with a smaller sized guard. My old peep left alot of air "around" the sight at full draw. I just got the next size smaller peep. Worked fine. Not sure how much extra material there is on your peep, but if it's too small, you might be able to bore it out slightly. Doesn't take much at all to make a big difference.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the 1/4 " peep is big enough maybe too big like Eh was saying, the Truglo will have a 1.8"F.O.V and I believe that is a little smaller than a copper j...there around 2- 2.25"???? So the new sight may help w/ aligning sight windows. I would try most anything other than lengthening the draw.

Thanks for passing on the beat-down.
    Last edited by cjchasman; 04-07-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!