Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kids Bows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kids Bows

I want to get my kids into shooting. They ask me if they can get a bow but i have no clue what would be good to start them off. What is a good starter bow for a 9 yrold boy and one for my 12 yr old daughter?

Post Thanks / Like

Well i have to go with what i know and that a brownning or parker sidekick
    have 2 B one a micro midis and the other micro adrenaline... 1st is a 30# and other is 50# son shoots a parker with 40#'s on it can get 50 with a new set of limbs... wife shoots a razor edge that bow goes from 30 to 60 and she loves it..
    Check AT classified picked up the midis for a song and guy tossed in a bunch of arrows that i re sold droped bow coast down to next ta nothing, and just put on a new yellow / black string on that little black bow looks like a bumble bee now G daughter loved that.... Keep this in mind Dont over bow your kids..
    keep um asking for more weight.. son shot 30 lbs when he could easy shot 35 if not 40... Should be FUN for the yougsters not a chore good luck and enjoy shooting with your Kids
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Several good youth bows on the market. Find a brand you trust, one that will adjust as your child grows, keep it light and fun, and you'll end up with what I did, a boy who to still loves to shoot, you can find him around here somewhere, in the above post, for instance! Everything I taught that little boy ( 4 years old when he started ) has been passed down to his son and all of his grandchildren.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 04-08-2011 at 07:57 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I think Martin had a couple Youth series bows but I have no exp. w/ them...The Micro Midas and the Parker are also good choices. Have had both in our household. The Parker advertises something about a go as you grow program. May be worth checking out until you can move them into Martins. I think Martins were something like 30-50lb. range and mid to high 20's in pull. Maybe a little too big to start. Check ebay; these type bows are all over and should not be too hard to find in good used condition.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I bought our 9 year old twin boys Bear Apprentices. They go from 18-50 lbs and i think 20" to 27" draw length.
    2010 Rytera Nemesis. 63lbs/29dl 292 fps 384gr arrow. Sword 6 pin sight

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjchasman View Post
    I think Martin had a couple Youth series bows but I have no exp. w/ them...The Micro Midas and the Parker are also good choices. Have had both in our household. The Parker advertises something about a go as you grow program. May be worth checking out until you can move them into Martins. I think Martins were something like 30-50lb. range and mid to high 20's in pull. Maybe a little too big to start. Check ebay; these type bows are all over and should not be too hard to find in good used condition.
    Yes Parker has the Grow up with Parker Program. You get the Side Kick XP, Challenger or Buckshot with the lower pound limbs and once your child grows out of them you send the bow to Parker and they put the high pound limbs on for $50.00. of course you pay to ship it to them and they ship it back to you. I live about 5-10 min for the Parker Plant. here is the link http://parkerbows.com/pb/2007/growup.html

The Diamond Razor Edge and the Mission Craze with the Craze having the most adjustability. Bear has the Apprentice. Martin has the Tiger but it is for rather small children. IMO

Will
    Last edited by Rottzilla; 04-08-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    08' Martin Saber
    27" DL 62# DW 7"BH 32.25"ATA
    Limbsaver Elite Prism 5 Pin Sight
    NAP Apache, Tru-Ball Rack Master Pro Release
    Harvest Time Archery HT-2 28" with FOB's and Grim Reaper BH
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me. Gen 27:3 NKJV

Post Thanks / Like

Parker does have a grow with you program...son's in it started with 20-30 limbs and also bought the 30-40 lbs limbs for a extra 50 bucks now that he has maxed them 40ies, we can send his bow back to parker and another $50 to get him the 40-50lbs limbs 18 - 28 " draw on his sidekick.. he is almost maxed that (sorry guys my son @ 13 is drawin the same as most of you. )
    So most likely he is due for a new Martin next year..He will want to keep his parker thou. great lil bow
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard good things about the PSE Chaos too. Martin should do something in this area, the Tiger is a toy for the youngest kids.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I got my son a bear warrior 2, it comes with mods and is very adjustable. 20-40lbs. Its been past down and is now on the third kid.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    I got my son a bear warrior 2, it comes with mods and is very adjustable. 20-40lbs. Its been past down and is now on the third kid.

Hutch
    Ohh Hutch you bought a Bear
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X