Thread: 2010 Firecat TR1 string jumping roller guides

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2010 Firecat TR1 string jumping roller guides

I've had a lot of trouble or maybe bad luck with my firecat tr1 purchased Nov. 2010. I've had since 1987 a lynx and loved it but noticed a small limb crack and so upgraded to a modern Martin Compound. Since then I have had limb cracks, which were replaced by Martin and installed by Bass Pro. I could not get the stock string to settle and quit strching so it was suggest I get after market strings. I got new strings and cables from Vapor Trail, had them installed at Bass Pro as well as a new Red Eye Peep. Thats right, the peep began to cut my string. I contacted EP who said they would make it right send in peep and string. Same time contacted Vapor Trail who offered to send a new identical string out at 1/2 price, good folks there! I had my 2nd new string installed at Bass Pro with a plastic peep so as not to repeat same problem.

Now after celebrating having my bow again, 12 shots later I noticed the string had jumped the roller guides and had become worn pinched between them. Oh Joy! (not my real comment). I reset in the guide only to have it jump again. Discouraged I put it all away.

Any advice or any source to check the diagram of the string path onto the cams and which cable or string cross which roller? I don't know that I trust Bass Pro for issues like this and there is no Martin dealer within 50 miles of me.

Thanks
    Ben Better

Post Thanks / Like

well firs off welcom to the forum.and second if you can post a pic of the bow and the issue spot.it very well could be the shop crosed up your string.other then that plaese post pics so we can better help you.and sorry about your bow trouble

Post Thanks / Like

I can't offer any advise as to how your cables should run thru your rollerguide, except to tell you that there are a lot of Firecat owners on this board, who will soon be along to offer help. And that you've come to the right place on the web for help, stick around and you'll learn how to do all of your own work, and won't have to trust anyone at BassPro Shop. When I first came to this board, I was in the same position as you are now, living too far away from a pro shop for any sort of convenence, and this board became my pro shop. Tons of knowledge here, all freely given. Hang in there, awnsers are on the way.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks, I'll get pictures up

Hey All, thanks for the welcome. When I get home this evening I'll shoot and post some pix to help out...Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Better View Post
    I've had a lot of trouble or maybe bad luck with my firecat tr1 purchased Nov. 2010. I've had since 1987 a lynx and loved it but noticed a small limb crack and so upgraded to a modern Martin Compound. Since then I have had limb cracks, which were replaced by Martin and installed by Bass Pro. I could not get the stock string to settle and quit strching so it was suggest I get after market strings. I got new strings and cables from Vapor Trail, had them installed at Bass Pro as well as a new Red Eye Peep. Thats right, the peep began to cut my string. I contacted EP who said they would make it right send in peep and string. Same time contacted Vapor Trail who offered to send a new identical string out at 1/2 price, good folks there! I had my 2nd new string installed at Bass Pro with a plastic peep so as not to repeat same problem.

Now after celebrating having my bow again, 12 shots later I noticed the string had jumped the roller guides and had become worn pinched between them. Oh Joy! (not my real comment). I reset in the guide only to have it jump again. Discouraged I put it all away.

Any advice or any source to check the diagram of the string path onto the cams and which cable or string cross which roller? I don't know that I trust Bass Pro for issues like this and there is no Martin dealer within 50 miles of me.

Thanks
    Ben Better
    Hello,welcome to forums,that almost seems impossible to me but here is a pic of my tr1 hopefully from pic you can tell if your string and cable are like there supposed to be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roller jumper pix

Thanks guys / gals for the quick reponse!!

It looks like my cable and string have been crossed at installation. The Y cable end is in the RH roller and from your pix and a phone call to a Martin pro series dealer he said that cable should be in the LH roller for a RH bow like mine. Whats the opinion about continued use when corrected as is or overserving string/ cable traveling the roller area?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I would check them real good,if you have alot of strands tore up you might want to get a new set,no since in taking a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Your strings look like they got put on wrong? Hard to tell off those pic's. But yeah i would take a long hard look at those strings. If you don't feel safe...i would call bass pro and make a stink. But if you think they aren't to bad then, yes you could just serve the area that goes over the roller guard. It won't hurt. Again i would still call bass pro.
    Last edited by martinbowhunter; 04-08-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the pictures, I would at the very least get the yoke cable replaced. Both the string and cable should be served where they run through the rollers.

Advantage Custom Strings