Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What will you do different in bow hunting this year?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking with some friends about going out of state to do some elk hunting for a couple weeks. Cheeper the more go, BUT, the more crowded also. I'm going with some different arrows this year for sure. Haven't been too happy with what I've been using. Got a few blinds left from last year that were good spots so just remodel some. The biggest change will be hunting with my firecat all season since I didn't get it till the last few weeks of the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    hey,Bro. You can't eat the rack! I absolutely love shooting big mature does. Ya know. The nosy ones that alert every deer in the woods. I'd rather shoot those than bucks. It's more satisfying for me and a bigger challenge. I've got my share of bone though. My biggest is a 3 1/2yr old 11pt.
    I know, never saw rack stew on the dinner table...I have that darn talk w/ myself every year. Sometimes I wonder if I can just one time win an argument, even if it has to be with myself.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeyflacx2 View Post
    My plan for this year is to sneak out to hunt elk without my brother. Hes really a good shot on a target but when he gets an animal in front of him----wow he sucks. I mean missed a big ol broadside cow at 15yds..way way over her back. And it wasnt the first time hes choked like that. I love the guy being my brother and all but man I need some meat in the freezer!
    I know exactly how you feel. My older brother is the same way. He's had so many misses and bad hits...ive tried giving him tips on form,release,target panic(actually deer fever),lowering his draw weight,etc. But does he listen? Nooooooooo! I just stopped hunting w him. I couldn't take it anymore.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I'll be doing any differnt is hunting elk as a resident, have been hunting them as a non-resident for the last 4 years. In Calif, if I got lucky in the elk drawing, my resident tag would have cost me $5 more than the non-resident over the counter elk tag I've been buying. Gonna be about $40 this year. And a whole lot less gas money.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

My work is likely going to interfere somewhat with bow seasons with a couple of already planned business trips - one in June/July and another in July/August. Then I have trips reports and documents to write and turn in which will take about 2 weeks. That said, it looks like mid-Sep before I'll be "free" enough to spend some time in the woods. Due to these circumstances I decided to pick some game units fairly close (couple of hours drive) so I can bow hunt elk, muley, pronghorn and hopefully bear all in the same region. I have never hunted these units but I'm somewhat familiar with the terrain plus I hope to get at least a couple of scouting trips in this summer.

And if things work out right I hope to rifle hunt elk with my son in a fairly decent draw unit. He's not into archery so he's applied for a bull tag and I hope to get a leftover cow tag. Even if I don't get a cow tag I'll go so I can help him get his elk.
    2008 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 66# DW), home-made TRG, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer/dampener, custom upper STS, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

1st off I plan on taking a turkey with the bow other then that spend more time in the blind in my honey holes.. got ta love PP rights
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

PP rights?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    PP rights?
    i think pp is private property.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep.. Infact i just got back form a short scout trip and camra swap, sorry bout the confusion.. just being a lazy typer i contacted a private timber co that has land local and well lets just say I did right buy them and am back now for a 2nd year for all seasons and now have personal phone numbers stored in my cell..for my scouting trips out of seasons. Just in case any workers have questions on Why I am there.. My plan was to hook my son Up for life Or as long as they alow hunters.. They were very pleased with the pictures i sent of last years spring tom and all the other info i passed along..trash i pick up .. trespassers i chased off and reported.. now this year we all have a card to display on rearview....its a short list + the family. ran into a grandson last season, even thanked me for stoping him
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a ladder stand and AS has a hang on but I think I am going to weld up a few more hang on's. That might help move us around enough.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com