Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was your first bow

Post Thanks / Like

1st bow was a Jennings Super TII from around the late 70's or early 80's, bought it from my neighbor for 150.00 with 2 dozen Easton Gamegetter 2117's, about a dozen misc. broadheads and a 4x4 chunk of styrofoam.

1st New bow I bought was a Martin Gonzo Safari about mid 90's. It had Z cams with the micro tune steel cables. Very good shooting bow in its time. Got this bow from Quality Farm & Fleet as there weren't any type of archery shops around here at the time and buying online wasn't even heard of then.

Advantage Custom Strings

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

pse F4 maxis. That thing was loud! Traded my guitar for the bow and a .22. Then I sold it and bought a Bear One(mushy single cam) for $80 @ K-mart to use for my first bowhunt. Killed my first 14 deer w it that season! Needless to say,with such a good first year bowhunting,i became an addict. Shot my first archery rabbit with it the following spring @ 45yds and made a dual rabbits foot keychain for my camaro. Still have it,too. The keychain,not the car.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

SonnyThomas

Default What was your first bow

Lord! It's been a couple years back - about 1962. It was a Fred Bear recurve, 60" and 40 pounds. Packed it many a mile as a kid. My first new compound was a 1999 Golden Eagle Evolution. Won my first 3D with it and went Hoyt up to last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    pse F4 maxis. That thing was loud! Traded my guitar for the bow and a .22. Then I sold it and bought a Bear One(mushy single cam) for $80 @ K-mart to use for my first bowhunt. Killed my first 14 deer w it that season! Needless to say,with such a good first year bowhunting,i became an addict. Shot my first archery rabbit with it the following spring @ 45yds and made a dual rabbits foot keychain for my camaro. Still have it,too. The keychain,not the car.
    Thats funny I had the F1 Maxis LE and your right it was loud I'm surprised there weren't more string jumps. lol

But my first bow was an Eagle Recurve I think it was Eagle there was an flying eagle etched into the wood. It was nice but got me into trouble a lot. lol

Will
    08' Martin Saber
    27" DL 62# DW 7"BH 32.25"ATA
    Limbsaver Elite Prism 5 Pin Sight
    NAP Apache, Tru-Ball Rack Master Pro Release
    Harvest Time Archery HT-2 28" with FOB's and Grim Reaper BH
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me. Gen 27:3 NKJV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rottzilla View Post

But my first bow was an Eagle Recurve I think it was Eagle there was an flying eagle etched into the wood. It was nice but got me into trouble a lot. lol

Will
    Hmmmmm.....I wonder how you could possibly get into trouble with a recurve??
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    No idea what year it was for sure, maybe 84/85, but it was a Browning Cobra........
    I had one of those in the early 80's. Can't remember if it was the 50lb or 60lb model. I liked the light weight and look of a recurve, and it shot decent.

My first bow, almost a decade before that one, was a Ben Person 40lb fiberglass recurve. It was ok at the time, but can't say I miss it
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

My first bow is my 2002 Cougar Magnum. As kids we used to cut small saplings and bend them and tie string to them. My father used to put flags at the cemetery, and we would take the flag sticks that didn't have flags on them and cut a groove in the back end to make a nock and try to see how far we could shoot the arrows.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

a brand new browning micro midas first up. 3d barebow and fingers. now this was ok till i saw kids shooting them at 3d comps. time for an adult bow.
    the next year a hoyt rintec xl, followed by a martin mystic, still 3d barebow and fingers.

Post Thanks / Like

A 1966 Indian 'Mohawk' 45#s @ 28 recurve
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

My first real bow was a Bear Alaskan with a bulky, but (in my opinion back then) absolutely beautiful laminated wood riser. Man, that bow took a tremendous amount of rookie mistakes but kept on sending arrows down range. Was accurate, too....but it had a "creeaak" that I was never able to get out of it. Because of that, it wasn't too good for the woods.