Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scents

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scents

What does every one use for deer hunting as far as scents?

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest common.
    Firecat 400

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Try this and save money.
    *Homemade Scent Killer*

Now that the season is near, I will again post the recipe I use for home made scent killer that works and is cheap to make!

Ingredients for Scent Killer:

16 oz. (2 cups) Peroxide ( yes, I use the brown bottled stuff)

16 oz. (2 cups) Distilled Water or water from a dehumidifier

cup baking soda

1 oz. On non-scented shampoo (I use Hunters Specialties green shampoo)

(Or adjust amounts to whatever size you make accordingly)

Let sit for several days (1 gallon milk jug works good with lid loose) This recipe is also good for removing blood from your hands in the field after dressing your critter! No dried blood, presents a better image!

Here an idea for some scent free 'baby wipes'...

mix up a batch of scent killer as per instructions above...

take a roll of heavy duty paper towels (Bounty, Scott, etc..not the 49 cent cheapies)

cut the roll in half with an electric knife so you have 2 short rolls of paper towels(don't try a regular knife... it doesn't work). Pull the cardboard tube from the middle of the half roll

Find a rubbermaid or tupperware container big enough to hold the 1/2 roll of paper towels (and with a good sealed lid).

Put one of the 1/2 rolls of paper in the container, pour in the scent killer, let the wipes soak up the scent killer, keep covered tight so they don't dry out. Because the inner cardboard tube is out, pull the paper towels out the from the middle like a kleenex!

HUTCH
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

my own as a result of lots of coffee! Seriously. I've had more deer come in to my urine than bottled stuff which has spooked more deer than anything.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    my own as a result of lots of coffee! Seriously. I've had more deer come in to my urine than bottled stuff which has spooked more deer than anything.
    I don't know if it matters on the timing of the rut or not but I have had several people say that they pee close to their stand and off of their tree stand and it doesn't cause a problem. Some say it even makes the deer come check out the new smell. Then again, others claim it is bad and they won't pee all day. I don't like to suffer so you know which one I'll be doing.

Hawg

Have the curious deer been both sex or just bucks?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

The best thing I have found for bringing in bigger bucks and more bucks is buck urine. Doe urine, and doe in heat seem like they scare off more deer than they attract for me. The only time doe urine seems to do much is if I also have buck urine out during the peak of the rut. Having both out in close proximity to each other seems to work pretty well during the peak of rut. I don't use them all that often, but they do seem to work pretty well for stopping a deer for the shot as well.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous C
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I don't know if it matters on the timing of the rut or not but I have had several people say that they pee close to their stand and off of their tree stand and it doesn't cause a problem. Some say it even makes the deer come check out the new smell. Then again, others claim it is bad and they won't pee all day. I don't like to suffer so you know which one I'll be doing.

Hawg

Have the curious deer been both sex or just bucks?
    both sexes of all ages. Biggest was an 8pt. Rack was as wide as it's ears and bout 8-10" tines. Came in around 4:30-ish PM,late Oct,w nose to the wind. Bow season starts Oct 1st in MI.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    both sexes of all ages. Biggest was an 8pt. Rack was as wide as it's ears and bout 8-10" tines. Came in around 4:30-ish PM,late Oct,w nose to the wind. Bow season starts Oct 1st in MI.
    Would they get spooked if it was snowing and they saw yellow snow

Post Thanks / Like

Play the wind and you dont need to worry about it,but if you cant use scent killer.

Post Thanks / Like

Pete Rickards Indian buck lure killed a few nice bucks with it but i have know idea where to get it now!