Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draw Length and String Slap

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Draw Length and String Slap

3rd post in 3 days...lots of questions for the newbie. My draw length's set at 30 which was calculated using the wingspan/2.5...I'm 6'0" tall but have always seemed to have longish arms. Question, just got back from the range and am having trouble with string slap, any connection between that and too long a draw length. I shoot with a D loop, '07 Bengal, Scott barrel release.

Post Thanks / Like

The d-loop has nothing to do with DL. It only effects the release length.

However, I don't know anybody shorter than 6' 2", that has a 30" DL.

At 6' tall, your DL should be between 28" and 29". Unless you really have monkey arms, or freakishly wide shoulders.

Post Thanks / Like

im 6' and have a 30" draw but i have long arms and broad shoulders.. the loop changes your anchor point. if your new you might be holding the bow wrong ... if you could put a picture up at full draw it would be easier to help.

SonnyThomas

To answer your question; Yes, the bow having too long a draw can result in string slap.

I wanted much to agree with copterdoc, but his first sentence threw me. However, I do agree with his claim of height and draw length.

The formula "WS / 2.5 = DL" has never impressed me as being the choice to use. Figure it and you will find it runs off as WS shortens and lengthens.

The formula "WS - 15 / 2 = DL" remains consistent throughout the lengths found.
    Try this; 72 - 15 / 2 = 28 1/2". This for a 6 foot man. 6'2" = 74" - 15 / 2 = 29.5"

Same WS of 72 / 2.5 - 28.8" Same 6'2" = 74 / 2.5 = 29.6". This formula shows draw length .300" longer than other formula and then gets shorter, now .100" with 2 inches of more WS.

Both formulas though have approx. +/- 1/2" for error. Several things come into play. Type of release, size of hands, length of fingers, facial features and so on. And some bows run long for draw length (somehow never short).

Now for the copterdoc's first sentence; "The d-loop has nothing to do with DL. It only effects the release length." Find and look at the draw length diagram for a bow. Normally, the draw length is the apex of the string at full draw to the depth of the grip plus 1 3/4". Actual draw length, apex of the string at full draw to the depth of the grip is just that, taken from the apex of the string where you hook your release or fingers. Add a loop (extention to hook release) and you have effectively added the loop length to the draw length of the bow. Now, to maintain your perfect anchor point you have to change something, release length or draw length of the bow. For me, using a index release, I have my bow set to 29", release shortened as much as possible and still be able to hook up. Using a thumb or back tension release with a loop, 5/8" long, I have my target bows set to 28" of draw.
    No, a loop doesn't not effect the bow's true draw length nor does it effect your draw length, but yes, it does effect fit of the bow to you. Again, something has to change. Do you change your perfect anchor point? I think not. So, you shorten the length of your release aid (if possible) or you shorten the draw length of the bow.

Weird, but true; Plush, a real good indoor shooter, stands a good 6 foot, three inches tall. His draw length is 30", his, not the bow's. He dislikes anything touching his face and uses a super long loop. The draw of length of his bow? 27". Who helped set him up? A Senior Pro Free Style shooter who is a former Triple Crown winner and who has won Vegas 3 times, the last being just this year.
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 04-17-2011 at 05:18 AM. Reason: word correction

Post Thanks / Like

A one armed man, still has a draw length.

DL is determined by where the arrow nock intersects the face.

It has nothing to do with the arm attached to the release. That is effected entirely by the length of the release, and the length of the loop.

The arrow nock is supposed to be directly below the eye at full draw. Adding, or removing a D-loop, will never change where the arrow nock is in relation to the archer's face.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to look at this from a somewhat different perspective. Keep in mind,this is what worked for ME. It may or may not work for someone else,but I don't see why it wouldn't.

I'm 5'9",w long-ish arms. I've never measured my WS,though. I had an '04 Cougar 3 that liked to bite. Braceheight was 6 3/4"(?. Something close,anyway). I couldn't get the DL adjusted to a comfortable setting and still have no string slap. I finally decided on shortening the DL to 28" vs my normal 28.5". It forced a bend in my bow arm,but didn't solve it entirely. I added a sts and that was the end of the string slap
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

SonnyThomas

One also has to keep in mind proper grip. With the proper grip and a slight bend of the elbow (pointing out and down - say 45 degrees) the forearm is much removed from the line of travel of the string. Proper everything and string slap is not a issue except through wearing heavy clothing. We've put pictures of the what is deemed a proper grip. The line off the knuckles of the hand and fingers are somewhat positioned as the the bent elbow, pointing down and out similar to the above 45 degrees.

I've shot bows with 5 1/2" brace heights and not had a problem. Other, proper grip and using a straight arm the forearm is still removed from the travel of the string - maybe close, but a lot of us survived. Personally, I like a brace height of 6 to 6 1/2". My Ole War Horse has a 6 3/8" bh and I've shot that bow untold thousands of times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Arrow View Post
    3rd post in 3 days...lots of questions for the newbie. My draw length's set at 30 which was calculated using the wingspan/2.5...I'm 6'0" tall but have always seemed to have longish arms. Question, just got back from the range and am having trouble with string slap, any connection between that and too long a draw length. I shoot with a D loop, '07 Bengal, Scott barrel release.
    With all my respect to the great archery knowledge of both Sonny and Copterdoc, what i'd do is to shorten the DL with at least half an inch and add a string stopper (STS). This will solve your problem, Broken Arrow and may be will improve your shooting.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Something I don't see mentioned and a thing which a buddy of mine does now, (& I use to do) is the shooting stance.
    He stands with his bow arm, shoulders and feet all in a straight line to the target, having to turn his head almost 90 degrees looking right down his shoulder/arm. Once in a while even lines up with his back foot behind him a bit and really smacks his arm a good one then.
    It's causing him to pull tight right across his chest and arm resulting in string catching a sleeve and/or trying to peel hide off his arm.

When I get him to move his back foot forward a half step, turning his body inward toward bow at roughly 45 degree into the bow to open up the shot, string slap is gone.

I still catch myself doing this now and then on a off-camber or sidehill shot at 3D target and I'll whack my arm or sleeve, throwing me off a bit.

Getting to correct 45 degree stance and opening the shot up a bit really helped me reduce string slap when wearing heavier clothes during late season hunts.......and helped my overall accuracy.

I have noticed before when turning in toward the target, that is my draw length is borderline long, it will show up here. going about 1/2" shorter (like I could probably do now myself) cleared that up
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

SonnyThomas

It's that we don't forget mentioning things. It's just we say it or tell it so many times we get lost in transit. This should be the next to last reply of the Post. LD Falks is indeed a archer coach most notable.

http://asaforum.com/index.php?topic=...43065#msg43065