Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draw Length and String Slap

Post Thanks / Like

The draw length that is given by wingspan is good if you are shooting a recurve or a longbow. You will loose at least 1/2 to 1" dl shooting a compound. My draw length is 29 1/2 shooting my longbow but my compound is set at 28 1/2".
    Last edited by cyclepath; 04-18-2011 at 04:38 PM.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link try setting it up this way.http://www.tboneoutdoors.com/video/t...w_length_myths

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Here is a link try setting it up this way.http://www.tboneoutdoors.com/video/t...w_length_myths

Hutch
    Thanks Hutch.

I can't believe how hard it is, for some people to wrap their minds around this concept.

SonnyThomas

Default Draw Length and String Slap

So I spent near half an hour downloading the video. Dial up for way out in the country and down in the holler.

I saw or heard nothing for setting the initial draw length of the bow. And of course there was nothing mentioned of the bow's draw length matching the draw length of the shooter. As noted in this thread, you may have a 29" draw, but you, the equipment used and the bow itself may have the bow's draw length shortened to, say 28".

I saw the shooter set anchor, not change for what clearly was already predetermined. A good anchor point is solid and repeatable so it becomes second nature. And this whether a index release, hinge or thumb release. BUT then, the difference between a index release and the upside down releases will have you anchor differently and in a different spot.

Spoke of was releases and that being different that would effect the over all draw length - basically what has already been mentioned in this thread.

However, I would dis-claim the draw length "fact" of "corner of the mouth to the tip of the nose." Probably every archery coach I know and know of would dis-claim such.

Each person is different...right up to facial features and nose length and throw in the different angles from the shortest ata bows to the longest ata bows of today. Though I can live without this one person he is one of the finer shots in our county - probably shot more 5 spot 300s than anyone in our county and he is a top 3D shooter. Regardless of a index release, back tension or thumb release, his nose is so short there is virtually no way he can touch his nose to the string and maintain a good solid anchor and keep his draw elbow as it should, in line with the power stroke of the bow string. No, he does not use a kisser button.

The concept of the arrow nock being directly below the shooter's eye has been mostly taken from one the finest archers known, Randy Ulmer. Several pictures exist showing him, his anchor with a index release and the virtual line through the center of his eye down through the arrow nock. In his original article Randy noted; "some people use the tip of their nose" and that's all he wrote of it, but it was picked up on and expanded by others.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a problem, when people think they can lengthen their bow's draw length setting, by finding a release short enough that they can draw the string all the way past their ear.

There is a device that allows the release to be attached to the shooter's elbow.

I'm anxious to see all the dismembered ears flying downrange, the Saturday before the deer opener.

That fact is, that DL DOES involve the point that the arrow nock is positioned in relation to the shooter's face. The d-loop and release length have absolutely nothing to do with that relationship.

That said, I give up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Arrow View Post
    3rd post in 3 days...lots of questions for the newbie. My draw length's set at 30 which was calculated using the wingspan/2.5...I'm 6'0" tall but have always seemed to have longish arms. Question, just got back from the range and am having trouble with string slap, any connection between that and too long a draw length. I shoot with a D loop, '07 Bengal, Scott barrel release.
    I'm sorry about how this has gotten out of hand. Kinda like asking this question on AT. Everyone wants to help for sure but with all the input I'm sure you are very confused or ready to say forget it. I think the best way to get to where you want to be is to just go to a pro shop that you trust and have them help you set the bow up for you. Ask them to explain what they are doing so that you have a clear understanding of it and from there you will know what to do from then on. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Best advice yet...on my way to shop this afternoon.