Thread: loose mod screws=loctite?

Post Thanks / Like

Default loose mod screws=loctite?

new firecat 400. every 4-6 shots top 2 mod screws come loose. would it be okay to use some blue loctite? thats what i got and i think its their medium strength. Would it void warrenty? i guess i should call martin tomorrow.
    b

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about voiding warranty but it could booger up the threads after removing the screws the next time (leaves quite a bit of residue in the threads). What works well for me and many others is to apply string wax to the threads of screws then run them into their respective threaded holes. This acts like a thread lube and thread locker - all with one product. And it won't harm your threaded holes.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 66# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made torque reducing cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

will do. i guess i have heard that about loose tips.
    thanks
    b

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Most just use string wax. Rub it on and screw them in.

HUTCH
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've never tried the wax on threads, but I have used black finger nail polish. It's cheap, has a weak bond that works well on holding screws, cleans up very well with no residue, and if you put a dab on the head of the screw as well, is a visual aid to tell if the screw is moving at all.
    -2011 Martin Silencer 63# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .029 sight, Alpine Whisperflite drop away rest, Alpine 5 arrow quiver, G5 1/4" Meta Peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Warrior and Expedition Hunter (385gr), G5 Montec
    -2011 Martin Silencer, 73# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .019 sight, QAD Ultra Rest Pro LD, Tight Spot 5 arrow quiver, 1/4" G5 Meta peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 7595 camo (441gr), G5 Montec BH.

Post Thanks / Like

X 2 on string wax! Works good and when you have too get the screws out later you can!

Post Thanks / Like

String wax here too. Was told that by my Martin Dealer when he was doing the work on my High Country .
    '08 Firecat a righty
    '06 Slayer a lefty
    "97 High Country Protec

Post Thanks / Like

mod screws still coming loose with wax on them! going to try the fingernail polish trick now
    b

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boobowbender View Post
    mod screws still coming loose with wax on them! going to try the fingernail polish trick now
    b
    A couple of thoughts.

Something must be out of round or damaged if you are having problems with your screws coming loose.

Don't use fingernail polish, use blue LocTite. It won't damage anything or void the warranty.

You better clean all the wax out of the threads or nothing will stick, LocTite or fingernail polish.
    Firecat 400