Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: martin beats mattews

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats timbow!!!!
    -2011 Martin Silencer 63# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .029 sight, Alpine Whisperflite drop away rest, Alpine 5 arrow quiver, G5 1/4" Meta Peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Warrior and Expedition Hunter (385gr), G5 Montec
    -2011 Martin Silencer, 73# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .019 sight, QAD Ultra Rest Pro LD, Tight Spot 5 arrow quiver, 1/4" G5 Meta peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 7595 camo (441gr), G5 Montec BH.

Post Thanks / Like

it's the same way at this bow shop i've taken my bow to a few times. i took it there to see about my axle to axle length it was at 29 3/4 insted of 30'' and they said that martins specs arent right. and it seems like they don't ever want to work on it or talk to me about it they kinda just act like well its just a martin. i'm really picky and want my bow to shoot as good as it possibly can, they told me not to twist my string at all to try to get the axle to axle right. maybe they're right im not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, Timbow!
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timbow View Post
    it's the same way at this bow shop i've taken my bow to a few times. i took it there to see about my axle to axle length it was at 29 3/4 insted of 30'' and they said that martins specs arent right. and it seems like they don't ever want to work on it or talk to me about it they kinda just act like well its just a martin. i'm really picky and want my bow to shoot as good as it possibly can, they told me not to twist my string at all to try to get the axle to axle right. maybe they're right im not sure.
    sounds like you should find another pro shop. Their service shouldn't be based on what brand you shoot.twist your strings to get it to spec.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, timbow.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I shoot a 2010 Cheetah as well! The bow kicks *** for one third of the price of the Mathews.

Post Thanks / Like

I had my first personal experience regarding some peoples' arrogance in thinking Martin bows are substandard to Mathews. I was in Washington state earlier this year on a business trip and had some down time so I visited a few archery shops in the Tacoma vicinity. The second shop sold BowTech and Mathews - guess what they push hardest.

When I told them I was considering a new bow they asked what I currently had. I told them honestly my 08 Martin Firecat. Both sales guys chuckled and said I would definitely be majorly stepping up by getting a Mathews. I didn't let that affect me as I wanted a chance to shoot one so I could see if there really was anything better. They handed me a Z7 to look over and talked it up while I was doing so. So, I asked if I could shoot it and they said yes and proceeded to set it to my DL and DW (matching what my Firecat is set to).

Now, I must admit, the camo finish on this particular bow was done well - no glaring flaws I could find. The draw cycle was smooth and it ended in a nice firm wall. At the shot it was quiet and pretty much dead in the hand. However, it was no where near as fast as my Firecat and if it was quieter it wasn't by much. I surmised the smooth draw was attributable to its single cam design, which also accounted for its slow speed too. I was favorably impressed by the bow quality but certainly not enough to want to pay $900 for a bare bow that was slower and maybe only marginally quieter than my current bow.

I left this shop with an even better feeling that I had made a good choice when I bought my Firecat.

BTW, I also shot a new BowTech Allegiance while I was at this shop. In terms of the draw cycle it reminded me of the more aggressive draw cycle of my Firecat but it didn't seem quite as smooth through the draw cycle and it was definitely louder when shot than either the Z7 or my Firecat.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 66# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made torque reducing cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)