Thread: no bow press?

Post Thanks / Like

Default no bow press?

can i just back out the limb bolts and just lean on my bow slowly till i can take cables on and off. buying a press isn't in the budget after the new bow.
    I do have a lot of tools and am handy is there something cheap and safe that would work better
    b

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for not looking but what kind of bow do you have. Some Martins are able to be serviced by backing out limb bolts evenly. Also a "Bowmaster" portable bow press works great and can usually be had for under $50.00.

Do a search for bow press on the search box. 2nd page has alot of info that may answer your question.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

most martins can be disassembled this way. I back the limb bolts out 3 full turns at a time til I start seeing light through the barrel nut on the riser. Then I go 1 turn each till the bottom of the limb bolt is at slightly more than half way out of the barrel nut. Just take your time and check it periodically. You will know when the strings/cables are able to be removed.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

sweet thanks, beats buying equipment or making something i'll only use for two weeks till its fine tuned and top notch

Post Thanks / Like

Neither of my 2011 Martins will back down far enough by turning the limbs bolts to allow easy removal of the string/cables. What I've had to do is, turn the bolts out as far as I can to loosen the string as much as it'll allow. Then grab the cam in one hand and rotate it to loosen the string/cables. For reassembly, rotate cam, reattach cable/string. This is one thing about the new bows that I certainly DO NOT like. Martins were always known for being an easy bow to work on and no bow press needed. Looks like they are either getting away from that, or just not paying attention as well anymore.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

See my post in the thread entitled "Spongy back wall". You can get longer limb bolts very easily.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I can't back my bolts out enough to relieve all the string pressure either. It popped out on me and I was a little surprised. It was easy enough to over come though. Longer bolts might be a nice addition and I wish this thread came up earlier when I placed and order with McMaster-Carr. Oh well.
    Firecat 400