Thread: my bowstring untwists after i twist it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default my bowstring untwists after i twist it?

i twisted my bow string last night and when i pull it back a few times it seems like it untwists the twists that i had just put in it and goes back to where it was. my string is 85'' long and i've read i need about 1 twist per 1.5'' so if i divide 85 by 1.5 i get 56.67 does that mean i need 56 twists in my string? seems like alot. let me know what you guys think.

Post Thanks / Like

The number of twists in the string isn't really that important. The important thing is that it is the correct length. Twist it however many times you need to so that it's at the correct length. One thing that's a little deceiving is when you twist up a string or cable, you notice the twists right by the end you are twisting. After reinstalling the string/cable, and drawing the bow back, it works thetwists evenly throughout the entire string, so it looks like the end you twisted has "untwisted" some. I'd make sure the string is the right length, and no worry a bit about the number of twists.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timbow View Post
    i twisted my bow string last night and when i pull it back a few times it seems like it untwists the twists that i had just put in it and goes back to where it was. my string is 85'' long and i've read i need about 1 twist per 1.5'' so if i divide 85 by 1.5 i get 56.67 does that mean i need 56 twists in my string? seems like alot. let me know what you guys think.
    56 twists in a single cam string that length is about correct. As EH said, its more important to have the string the correct length. As long as the length is correct a few twists more or less won't hurt anything. The serving being applied correctly will have more bearing on the quality of the string and whether you end up with peep rotation or not, than if the suggested twist ratio is achieved.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

thanks i think i have the string twisted right then