Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Am I Over Spined?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SW OK
    Posts
    1,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Am I Over Spined?

    I have a 45#-60# FC400 and I'm working my way up to 60 pounds. I'm shooting 100 grain tips and 27" draw length. I am shooting GT Velocity Hunters with a 400 spine. The arrow shaft is 25.5" (26" with nock).

    After looking at the charts I think I may over spined and should have gone with 500s instead. When I bought the arrows I didn't know what the length would be and went with a WAG.

    What does your fancy program say I should use?
    Firecat 400

  2. #2
    Senior Member HawgEnvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't have a fancy program,but it does sound like your over spined. However, it's better than being under spined. That's about all I can tell you. Arrow spine is something I haven't been able to comprehend fully,myself
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    380
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I have a 45#-60# FC400 and I'm working my way up to 60 pounds. I'm shooting 100 grain tips and 27" draw length. I am shooting GT Velocity Hunters with a 400 spine. The arrow shaft is 25.5" (26" with nock).

    After looking at the charts I think I may over spined and should have gone with 500s instead. When I bought the arrows I didn't know what the length would be and went with a WAG.

    What does your fancy program say I should use?
    If you are able to tune OK and the flight is good, I wouldn't worry, particularly if you plan to increase the draw weight. You can reduce stiffness a little by replacing the 100 gr tips with 125s or heavier.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Port Washington, Ohio
    Posts
    543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The 400 is way too stiff at 25.5", it gets close to correct spine for your setup at 60# and cut to 28". On the bright side the 500 is way too weak, even cut at 25.5".

    If your getting decent arrow flight now, don't worry about it as you'll probably be ready for new arrows before season starts anyhow. For future reference, always run the arrows on a program before cutting or cut them longer than you think they should be. You can always cut more off but you can't ever add more.

    OT2 does have a free trial version that you can download from their website, plus the full version is really pretty inexpensive for all the info it gives you, plus you get free upgrades for the 1st several years.

    Advantage Custom Strings

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This should give you everything you need to know about your setup http://www.eastonarchery.com/
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SW OK
    Posts
    1,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    The 400 is way too stiff at 25.5", it gets close to correct spine for your setup at 60# and cut to 28". On the bright side the 500 is way too weak, even cut at 25.5".

    If your getting decent arrow flight now, don't worry about it as you'll probably be ready for new arrows before season starts anyhow. For future reference, always run the arrows on a program before cutting or cut them longer than you think they should be. You can always cut more off but you can't ever add more.

    OT2 does have a free trial version that you can download from their website, plus the full version is really pretty inexpensive for all the info it gives you, plus you get free upgrades for the 1st several years.
    If 400 is too much and 500 is too little how do you end up in between? Extra length to make them flex more? It seems like a shame to be pushing extra weight if that is the case. Newbie here so go easy on me.
    Firecat 400

  7. #7
    SonnyThomas
    Guest

    Default Am I Over Spined?

    I'm with Gibson. Good accuracy, shoot it. I have kids that shoot at the shop with arrows they find, arrows way over spined and the kids are having a ball and amazingly their accuracy is outstanding. One kid is maxed out at 45 pounds and is shooting 60/75 CX arrows and he puts them in the bull's eye. On the other hand, a CXL 150 is said to be too weak of spine for my setup and I have outstanding accuracy.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Port Washington, Ohio
    Posts
    543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    If 400 is too much and 500 is too little how do you end up in between? Extra length to make them flex more? It seems like a shame to be pushing extra weight if that is the case. Newbie here so go easy on me.
    There is a lot that can go into picking the proper arrow, whats the arrow going to be used for?, do you want a light, medium or heavy arrow ? Small, standard or large diameter shaft ? DL, DW ? What type of point, screw in or glue in, what is the prefered point weight ? What type of fletching do you want to use, feathers, vanes or fobs ? Are you going to use wraps, if so what size and how much do they weigh?

    These are all questions that I ask when someone comes in looking for new arrows and they all are relevent as they all affect the spine of the arrow. Most all arrow manufacturers will have several options in each category and spine to chose from and will allow the shooter to get the correct arrow for his choosen use, whether it be a light arrow for 3D or a mid weight arrow for deer or a heavy arrow for larger game.

    If weight is a concern, you'll have to pick a lighter shaft like the GT Ultra light or Victory Vforce HV or one of Eastons lightwieght shafts, just make sure the arrow is going to be spined correctly and weigh a minimum of 5gr. per pound.

    Advantage Custom Strings

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SW OK
    Posts
    1,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gibson 787 View Post
    If you are able to tune OK and the flight is good, I wouldn't worry, particularly if you plan to increase the draw weight. You can reduce stiffness a little by replacing the 100 gr tips with 125s or heavier.
    I don't have a means to paper tune. Hell, I can barely go out and shoot at my targets due to the damn spring winds. I used the "quick tune" method by using vertical and horizontal lines on my target from 10 to 25 yards. I know I need longer distances but with these dang winds I wouldn't know if I was making improvements or not.

    How do I know if my flight is good? My arrows seem to all stick in the target straight and I don't see any weird flight. I don't notice any tail wag or purposing but I do admit it is hard to see much of these fast moving arrows!

    I can pick up some 125 grn. field points to try but how will I really know if they are helping or not?
    Last edited by MLN1963; 04-26-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    Firecat 400

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    There is a lot that can go into picking the proper arrow, whats the arrow going to be used for?, do you want a light, medium or heavy arrow ? Small, standard or large diameter shaft ? DL, DW ? What type of point, screw in or glue in, what is the prefered point weight ? What type of fletching do you want to use, feathers, vanes or fobs ? Are you going to use wraps, if so what size and how much do they weigh?

    These are all questions that I ask when someone comes in looking for new arrows and they all are relevent as they all affect the spine of the arrow. Most all arrow manufacturers will have several options in each category and spine to chose from and will allow the shooter to get the correct arrow for his choosen use, whether it be a light arrow for 3D or a mid weight arrow for deer or a heavy arrow for larger game.

    If weight is a concern, you'll have to pick a lighter shaft like the GT Ultra light or Victory Vforce HV or one of Eastons lightwieght shafts, just make sure the arrow is going to be spined correctly and weigh a minimum of 5gr. per pound.
    Archerx7 is correct with this statement. If you are tuning your arrows for your bow you need to take all this into consideration. If you are just buying arrows out of a box and having the pro shop cut them to size and put in the inserts your in the 95% of archers. You didn't say where you were right now for your dw but I will tell you that I would rather shoot a heavy arrow than a light arrow. Your bow will be quieter and less stress on the bow as well. Too light of an arrow is almost like dry firing your bow, not good. As mentioned you should maintain a minimum of 5 gr. per pound. Maybe get yourself a grain scale, 15-20 bucks, well worth the money. great for weighing tips, arrows, broadheads and many other things. Lots to take in for such a simple question. How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go!! LOL
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •