Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I Over Spined?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I don't have a means to paper tune. Hell, I can barely go out and shoot at my targets due to the damn spring winds. I used the "quick tune" method by using vertical and horizontal lines on my target from 10 to 25 yards. I know I need longer distances but with these dang winds I wouldn't know if I was making improvements or not.

How do I know if my flight is good? My arrows seem to all stick in the target straight and I don't see any weird flight. I don't notice any tail wag or purposing but I do admit it is hard to see much of these fast moving arrows!

I can pick up some 125 grn. field points to try but how will I really now if they are helping or not?
    From the above, it sounds to me like all is well, at the end of the day if your arrows are going where you want them to go, I'd say no need to stress out over the possibility that they might be a tad over or under spined. Truth is, bad arrow flight and bad results from paper tuning are very often caused by bad form. If you're grouping them satisfactorily, then all's good in my book. Hope the weather gets better for you.

Post Thanks / Like

According to the component weights listed on Gold Tip my arrows are about 330 grains which is 5.5 per pound at 60. I'm 4 turns out so probably 50 pounds or so?

I want kill zone accuracy. I'm not headed to Las Vegas to shoot spots at this point.
    Firecat 400

SonnyThomas

Default Am I Over Spined?

According to the component weights listed on Gold Tip my arrows are about 330 grains which is 5.5 per pound at 60. I'm 4 turns out so probably 50 pounds or so?
    I want kill zone accuracy. I'm not headed to Las Vegas to shoot spots at this point.
    5.5 grs per pound. This really doesn't mean anything except being legal for shooting in IBO events and staying within warranty issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    5.5 grs per pound. This really doesn't mean anything except being legal for shooting in IBO events and staying within warranty issues.
    Someone mentioned weight and grains per pound so I told them where I'm at. Thats all.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

If 400 is too much and 500 is too little how do you end up in between? Extra length to make them flex more? It seems like a shame to be pushing extra weight if that is the case. Newbie here so go easy on me.
    Having the spine correct is more important to accuracy than the other factors.
    I would use the same arrows but cut them longer and use a heavier point, if neccessary, to get the spine right.
    As far as extra weight - remember that a lighter arrow also slows down faster so even tho a 25gn or whatever heavier arrow will leave the bow slower - it will still be going the same speed as the lighter arrow out at the target distance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Having the spine correct is more important to accuracy than the other factors.
    I would use the same arrows but cut them longer and use a heavier point, if neccessary, to get the spine right.
    As far as extra weight - remember that a lighter arrow also slows down faster so even tho a 25gn or whatever heavier arrow will leave the bow slower - it will still be going the same speed as the lighter arrow out at the target distance.
    Spiker,

I know what you were trying to say with this post so take this little ribbing. How do you expect him to cut those arrows and make them longer?" DUH!!!! LOL.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Ok - use GT Velocity 400's but cut longer.

p.s. Nice to hear some humor from you Barry, your usually pretty grumpy.
    Last edited by Spiker; 04-26-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I still have the parts I cut off the arrows. I could put a piece of dowel or something inside the pieces and glue them back together. I might need something really strong like Gorilla glue though. What length should I cut them to after that?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I still have the parts I cut off the arrows. I could put a piece of dowel or something inside the pieces and glue them back together. I might need something really strong like Gorilla glue though. What length should I cut them to after that?
    PLEASE DON"T DO THAT

Post Thanks / Like

Now see what you started Spiker? Giving a guy some dumb ideas.

MLN, maybe you could try an appropriate sized piece of aluminum shaft and epoxy it all together. OH darn, I'm starting to sound like Spiker.

Disclaimer: Don't try this at home...........Never mind anyway. There isn't any .246 OD aluminums. Closest would be 1614 and they are .250".
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver