Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ShadowCat Tuning

Post Thanks / Like

Default ShadowCat Tuning

I have a problem: My ShaodwCat must be way out of tune and i cannot get my arrows to the 70m distance. With my RazorX i got the samre arrows up to 90m and had way room left to move my sight lower. Now i cannot even move my scope lower and i barely hit the 40m target.

60lbs
    32" draw
    ATA is on specs
    Cams rotate evenly and stop a tad before they reach the bottom of the module so i have a little less Letoff and a shorter valley.

Centershot is way to the right. If i move the arrow more to the left so that it is in a line with sight and string i need to move my sight out to the left alot. I tried to set the CS up via walkback tuning. 5 - 40m in 5m steps so i get a flat line. This is what i came up with. I am not so happy with that... Nocking point is purely guessed and parallel to the shelf/Berger holes.

Any ideas please?
    Last edited by Montalaar; 04-26-2011 at 03:21 AM.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

What is the distance from the bridge between the berger holes to the center of your arrow with the bow at rest?
    Have you tried moving the nock point down a bit to see what happens?

Post Thanks / Like

I moved the rest up a tad yesterday and it changed something near to nothing. Maybe around 3" higher point of impact at 40m distance. I cannot measure the distance you asked for right now, but i will do this thursday night.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

SonnyThomas

Default ShadowCat Tuning

At 60 pounds and 32" of draw I'd think you could shoot well past 100 meters. My nocking point and rest makes my arrow center to the Berger hole. Last I tried any distance I had my Shadowcat set for indoors, 50 pounds, and with 28 1/2" draw and could nail a 54 yard bull's eye with no effort on the bow's part. My arrow, though, weighed 331 grs. 70 meters would be right at 76 yards so 22 more yards seems well within what my bow could reach.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that it should be possible. As mentioned before i shot up to 90m on a regular basis with a Razor-X with Nitrous Cams and slightly lower draw weight. As my arrows weigh only 400 grain i cannot find a reason for not getting the whole thing to shoot again. There is just a half inch left between the arrow shaft and the scope housing at this time and i can barely shoot 40m with it.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Simon, I may have the answer but not the solution. The two bows have different geometry so string angle at full draw will be different. I would guess the ShadowCat's string angle would be more acute. Now, what do you use for references when you anchor? If you use your nose on the string then it's possible that the more acute string angle causes you to anchor higher which will call for a lower peep and a sight that is proportionally lower. That long draw length doesn't help either, but you're stuck with that. It's simply a matter of too high an anchor for that particular bow.

Edit......... How far is your sight extended from the bow? If you're using an extended target sight you might consider moving the sight back a couple notches.

I hope I'm explaining this so you understand it and I might be wrong, but it's just my thoughts on the subject.

I know, for comparison, that I can easily get 80 yards (approx. 70m) on my Alien Z at only 46# and a 27" draw with an HHA slider sight so it's not a matter of the bow's speed. It's just because of my natural anchor and the angle at which the arrow leaves the bow. Just measured and there is about 2" between my arrow and the sight housing with the sight set on 60 yards.
    Last edited by bfisher; 04-26-2011 at 08:02 AM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    I have a problem: My ShaodwCat must be way out of tune and i cannot get my arrows to the 70m distance. With my RazorX i got the samre arrows up to 90m and had way room left to move my sight lower.

Centershot is way to the right. If i move the arrow more to the left so that it is in a line with sight and string i need to move my sight out to the left alot. I tried to set the CS up via walkback tuning. 5 - 40m in 5m steps so i get a flat line. This is what i came up with. I am not so happy with that... Nocking point is purely guessed and parallel to the shelf/Berger holes.

Any ideas please?
    It sounds like you have a couple problems going on here. First thing I would ask is who setup your other bow? First thing I would look at is your nock point. Are you using a d loop or a nock point? Are you shooting a release or fingers? Have someone look at your arrow with you at full draw. Sounds like your nocking point is way high. If this is the case then your peep sight will also be high, compounding your problem. See if your local pro shop can help you with your problem. Also, I don't believe your bow was made to get to a 32" draw. 30 maybe 31" at most.
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

Post Thanks / Like

Barry,

i thought about that also and tried out a different anchor, does not help that much at all. Actually it is a nice side effect to have the string touching the nose, but i anchor always the same way. Knuckles of my right hand touching my jaw bone. Not the exact same way but kind of like dudley in this picture:
    http://www.fieldarcher.org/gallery/a...Dudley_001.jpg
    This is the same anchor i had with my Razor-X and the effective string angle is not that different. As the NOS_Cams produce a higher virtual ATA at full draw than the CAT does. The main thing that bothers me is that i have this weird centershot setting... :/

cyclepath,
    i always set up my bows myself. And as you may can guess as i wrote this handy loop-tutorial for this forum.. i shoot with a very short loop. You should check the specs for the SahdowCat again. My bow was a custom built one in 2011 and i can guarantee you that every ShadowCat with CAT2.0 Cams will get a max draw of 32.75" when setup with the correct string/cable lengths and set to 41.5" ATA. That does not help me.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Simon,that's quite mysterious. I guess you have checked the peep?
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Simon- I know you may not be with your SC untill Thursday but the center of your arrow should be 21.5 - 22.5mm from the riser at rest at the point inbetween the berger holes.
    Last edited by Spiker; 04-26-2011 at 01:51 PM.