Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to quiet an SOS

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to quiet an SOS

With the old style STS we always had the option of changing out the rubber stopper to something that was quieter ie..the MacDaddy or Simms. Now with the SOS, I don't forsee any aftermarket companies making a replacement that may help reduce the "thunk" so I used some foam rubber weather stripping with self adhesive backing behind the SOS. It cut the noise level of the sos by a good 50%.

Advantage Custom Strings

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim, that is a good thing to know. Everybody loves a quiet bow.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    With the old style STS we always had the option of changing out the rubber stopper to something that was quieter ie..the MacDaddy or Simms. Now with the SOS, I don't forsee any aftermarket companies making a replacement that may help reduce the "thunk" so I used some foam rubber weather stripping with self adhesive backing behind the SOS. It cut the noise level of the sos by a good 50%.

Archerx7, that's very usefull info, will try that. Maybe you should inform Martin, I actually took my SOS off and attached a lower suppressor with good results. The noise with the SOS, was very much a higher frequency kind of a 'slap'. I can understand how the piece of foam would deaden the 'slapping' sound. Good thinking 99.

Post Thanks / Like

Tagged for future reference! Thanks Archer!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. That was one thng I was going to try to work on this weekend. Now I can just fix it and shoot.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

I too decided to try this on my modified Firecat. Thanks for the tip. I haven't had a chance to shoot it since doing this but hope the weather will cooperate enough this weekend to do so. Once I do I'll report my findings here.
    08/13 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67.5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info i ordered a sts to put on mine but i will try this idea to cause i have the same thud or twang of the string on my 2011 firecat

Post Thanks / Like

I had to replace the rubber on my Onza last weekend because it was cracked. That will make the stop last longer I believe. Great idea I'll have to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Ingenious!!!! Can't wait to try it! I was frustrated with the after the shot slap as well.
    Thanks a million.................
    I love you laura FMartin FireCat 400.....Meats on the TABLE!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I got a chance to shoot with the weather strip piece installed in the SOS and was pleasantly surprised to find that it does add a little quietness to the shot. So, for me it worked. And as boothill thought too, I think this could help extend the life of the SOS rubber piece since it won't be stretched as much. This is definitely something that deserves to be a sticky.
    08/13 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67.5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)