Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bringing pins on target

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Default bringing pins on target

I was just out shooting the Cheetah and,out of curiousity,was wondering how you guys like to aim. When you get to full draw,do you lower the pin to the target or raise it up to the target? I find myself doing both,but mostly I lower onto my POA.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Default accu-trak or Mpro

is one better than the other? And if so,why?
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

SonnyThomas

Default bringing pins on target

Generally it is best said to either place the pin right on the wanted point of impact or slightly above and come down. What it is, the muscles tighten and becomes harder to raise than come down. And then problems may arise, freezing below the target or snap shooting are two that come to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

A while back I read a thread on AT about target panic and someone (forget who now) posted a link to some shooting coaches info on the topic. These all generally said what Sonny said - the best approach was to come down from above rather than trying to raise the bow and sight pin up to the target. The "coaches" basically said the first method will help prevent or even help overcome target panic and punching the trigger as its easier to lower the bow onto the target than it is to raise it up. I personally found this advise to be true.
    08/13 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67.5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyhud View Post
    A while back I read a thread on AT about target panic and someone (forget who now) posted a link to some shooting coaches info on the topic. These all generally said what Sonny said - the best approach was to come down from above rather than trying to raise the bow and sight pin up to the target. The "coaches" basically said the first method will help prevent or even help overcome target panic and punching the trigger as its easier to lower the bow onto the target than it is to raise it up. I personally found this advise to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Generally it is best said to either place the pin right on the wanted point of impact or slightly above and come down. What it is, the muscles tighten and becomes harder to raise than come down. And then problems may arise, freezing below the target or snap shooting are two that come to mind.
    x2 to the above.i bring it down from the top.
    1-buck\elk feaver.if i bring it down from the top i have a better chance at getting the shot i need.i found bottom to top i would want to release sooner

Post Thanks / Like

so,in your opinions,would I gain a bit of accuracy if I were to be more consistent in bring the pin down onto the target?

Post Thanks / Like

X3 come down.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

x4
    I found that i missed low more often than not until I trained myself to come down to the target.

Post Thanks / Like

lol i too release on my way down........ tragically i miss high more often though, and the sparrows and starlings that think they can hang in my yard dont seem to mind when i miss..... if i miss low i can get um on the bounce (judo) sometimes. a high miss on a 3d target is generally more forgiving than a low miss too. ideally i shoot with a rock solid on target hold....
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

I like to lower to or come down to my target point. It also helps me to focus on my breathing as part of the shot procedure, no punching the release etc.. I did a lot of work on the way I would draw my bow which in turn also helped me settle the pin down to my target point; reducing the amount of time it took to get on target by drawing more in-line w/ the target.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!