Thread: 100-125gr,how does this affect arrow flight

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default 100-125gr,how does this affect arrow flight

if i were to use 125gr points/bh how would this affect my arrow flight.would my arrow shoot lower,shoot straighter,more impact,ect...my arrows weigh in at 382 w/100gr tips.is there a benifit to useing heaver points.i just dont know.spine is 340.i dont know the foc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravediggermtv View Post
    if i were to use 125gr points/bh how would this affect my arrow flight.would my arrow shoot lower,shoot straighter,more impact,ect...my arrows weigh in at 382 w/100gr tips.is there a benifit to useing heaver points.i just dont know.spine is 340.i dont know the foc.
    Yes it will effect arrow flight but, but in a good way, unless your a speed freak!? Yes your arrow will shoot slower but, not by much. Yes you will have more impact. Reason being is that your bow will put more energy into the arrow. Also your bow will be a little more quiet. Plus a heavier arrow will hold speed longer than a light arrow and just have more momentum thus more KE thus more hard hitting. Your FOC should be high twelves to mid thirteens with the hundred grain tip and your FOC with 125 grains should be around mid fourteens to maybe fifteen? not real sure but pritty close. And your spine will be fine with the 125 cause your shooting a 7595 arrow. oh yeah....yes it will shoot lower but, not by much, so there will be some tuning involved

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW,in my experience it's only affected the verticle POI. Ex. 25yrd pin w 100gr heads=20yd pin with 125gr heads. It may depend how well your bow is tuned,but as long as you keep the same arrows it should be just a matter of adjusting the verticle setting on your pin.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravediggermtv View Post
    I also shoot the muzzy 3 blade and a 28.5 inch arrow but with super slams (2315). I found that going to the 125gr helped my groups out tremendously. I got so caught up in the lighter is faster speed thing that I lost sight of the imprortance of the front of center balance FOC and basic arrow set up. Figure out where your arrow balance point is with your broadhead on and measure the distance from the nock to that point (ABP). Then know your Total Arrow Length, (TAL). next plug the numbers into this formula. FOC= ((ABP divided by TAL) -.50) x 100 Your Ideal FOC should be between 12 and 15% with leaning toward 15 as ideal. The heavier broadhead along with going to a shorter vane helped me get into this range and really improved my groups. I might be a little heavier but I'm way more tuned in with the broadheads. plus I feel that the heavier broadhead hits a little harder with more pennetration. hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on arrow info you list, and assuming your using Blazer vanes like so many others seem to, FOC calc'd out about 11.5% w/100gr points and +/-13.75% w/125gr points

I agree with what was already mentioned, that the 125gr point will weaken spine a little, but shouldn't be an issue in this case, and that it will probably shoot quieter.
    Also wouldn't be surprised if you see improved arrow flight w/better groups.
    Extra weight absorbs more vibration (thus being quieter) which is easier on the bow too.

FYI: Last year I was trying another arrow and compared 100gr vs 125gr with my Bengal thru my chronograph. It was a little more loss than I expected, at 8fps, but that still really isn't huge drop
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone interested in reading more detail about how FOC, especially high FOC and Extreme FOC (EFOC) benefits the hunting archer there are several very informative field test articles published by Dr Ed Ashby on this topic as well as the benefits of heavy versus light arrows and his evaluations of many, many broadheads and what works best and why. You can find all his field tests here (http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimateb...ubb=forum;f=24).

For those not familiar with Dr Ashby, he's spent over 27 years studying and testing archery equipment and components how each performs when shooting live game and very recently killed game animals in Africa and other places around the world. As such he's one of the preeminent experts in the field of bow hunting equipment.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

good info.i ran my spec's for foc if i moved to 125gr.im at 11.8 right now and if i go for 125 it will be 13.57foc.i think i will get some 125 points and see how they hit.i do like the idea of a harder hit on my animal.speed is not a big issue for me.i will only take a shot at 50 yards or less for hunting.thanks for all the good info.i was told not to go over 100gr but i want to try 125 and did not see why i should only use 100gr.payday i will get some 125 field points,then if i like them then i will get a 6pk of 125 muzzy's and see how they fly.

Post Thanks / Like

Doh! Thanks for the correction guys. I was thinking weighted brass inserts for some reason?