Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing cam bearings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Removing cam bearings

Hi Does anyone know how to remove a cam bearing safely without damaging the cam please? Are there more ways than one? Gonna replace the axles and bearings on my Onza just to make sure that it is not the limbs causing the cam to rub against the limb. Thanks for any info!
    Last edited by deserthuntr; 03-05-2013 at 07:08 AM. Reason: spelling
    May the love and grace of God help us not to miss our purpose in life.
    2011 Onza 3, 70# 27.75" APG camo
    2012 Cougar FC 70# 27.75" Carbon Black

Sonny Thomas

Might save you some headaches. Remove strings and spin the cam and wiggle it. No great play would say it's okay. A bad bearing would give sort of a clunky feel. A little more, I doubt the axle bent, but take axle and roll on glass, like a window or even a formica kitchen counter top. Should roll easily and no change in sound as you roll it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Thomas View Post
    Might save you some headaches. Remove strings and spin the cam and wiggle it. No great play would say it's okay. A bad bearing would give sort of a clunky feel. A little more, I doubt the axle bent, but take axle and roll on glass, like a window or even a formica kitchen counter top. Should roll easily and no change in sound as you roll it.
    I echo what sonny said,and if your bearings are bad they are covered under warranty and replace the whole cam
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Sonny on this too. Take the cam and axles off, then check the axle for straight. Then spin the cam around the axle. It should rotate freely. I replaced the bearings on a Warthog of mine because they got ruined by the guy that dipped a cam for me. I just GENTLY tapped them out with a small hammer and screwdriver, but had a piece of pipe supporting the cam that was just a hair larger than the bearing. I think it was 1/2 pipe, but might have been 3/4. Took a 2 inch piece, set the cam on top with the bearing inside, and tapped it out. Gotta make sure the pipe is cut square though.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Bro Ehunter,

those bearing can be found at hardware shop? or have to order from Martin?

are the bearing size various from model for different bow? or can fit most of Martin bow cam.?
    what is the size of the bearing? what about those with built-in shimmed bearing? are these have to order from Martin?

can advice a bit? i supect my bearing is a little faulty, not as smooth as a normal bearing spin.
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

DTP, I ordered mine from Martin. You might be able to find them locally, but it would probably be faster to go through Martin. The older bearings (2010 and before I think) required spacers on the sides to fit the limbs. The newer bearings have a shoulder that fits without shims or spacers. The shoulder is the spacer. Not sure of the size the bearings are. I threw away my old ones when I changed them out, so I have nothing to measure by. As far as size goes, I think they are all the same diameter, just the newer bearings have the shoulder that makes them wider.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    DTP, I ordered mine from Martin. You might be able to find them locally, but it would probably be faster to go through Martin. The older bearings (2010 and before I think) required spacers on the sides to fit the limbs. The newer bearings have a shoulder that fits without shims or spacers. The shoulder is the spacer. Not sure of the size the bearings are. I threw away my old ones when I changed them out, so I have nothing to measure by. As far as size goes, I think they are all the same diameter, just the newer bearings have the shoulder that makes them wider.
    thanks for the infos....

since mine is the one with shoulder, so i doubt my local shop wouldnt have those. might as well give martin an email.

thanks....
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, it seems I have a bad bearing. Or rather my bow has a bad bearing. The bearing is a FR3FS or you can also use a FR3zz. They are both sealed, one has a plastic seal and one has a metal seal. The plastic seal is better for dust. They are costly but what can I do?

Inside diam .1875"
    Outside diam .5"
    Width .1960"
    Flange .5650"

Do you guys think a bad bearing can cause to eat away at my limb?
    May the love and grace of God help us not to miss our purpose in life.
    2011 Onza 3, 70# 27.75" APG camo
    2012 Cougar FC 70# 27.75" Carbon Black

Sonny Thomas

Bad bearings is a rarity. I would contact Martin. Me, if you haven't removed the bearing then perhaps warranty will cover. Me, if you removed the bearing then at your cost. Still, Martin has warrantied many things I wouldn't.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flanged bearing-.1875" X .5000" X .1960"

Flanged, double sealed,grease lubricated, ABEC 1 chrome steel- available from Grainger, Dayton#1ZGE5, also generic part# FR3-2RS. About $8 each. You can find them on the internet cheaper- about $4 each from bearingsdirect.com. Not sure if the quality is the same. I will find out, because I installed two from Grainger and two from bearingsdirect.com!
    This is a sealed bearing- rubber seal, as opposed to a shielded bearing, which has a metal shield, which can be lubricated, but will not keep out water or dirt. Use the sealed units.
    I just installed them in my '09 Rytera, which came originally with non flanged bearings. These look like they will offer more support since the flanged section extends out over the axles.
    I think these are the same bearings in the Martin cams- check the dimensions above.
    Hey- this is my first post!
    Hello all.