Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Left, Right, or Straight?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    gerrardstown, wv
    Posts
    114
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Left, Right, or Straight?

    I've always shot a left helical vane. Don't know why, just always have. Probably because that was the type of set-up that i started with years ago. But I'm like the only person that i know that does. Every one that i know shoots a right helical or straight vane. Why is this? Is there something that I don't know about. What do you guys Think?
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

  2. #2
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was the same way for years then one day got a good deal on some RW feathers. That made it necessary for me to get a RH clamp for my Bitz. I really see no performance difference between LH or RH fletching. I use whatever I get a good deal on.

    With vanes you can go any way you wish, however even if I were to fletch vanes with a straight clamp I would put an offset to the clamp. Just like the use of riflng to spin a bullet a spinning arrow will be more accurate than one that doesn't.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    gerrardstown, wv
    Posts
    114
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I was the same way for years then one day got a good deal on some RW feathers. That made it necessary for me to get a RH clamp for my Bitz. I really see no performance difference between LH or RH fletching. I use whatever I get a good deal on.

    With vanes you can go any way you wish, however even if I were to fletch vanes with a straight clamp I would put an offset to the clamp. Just like the use of riflng to spin a bullet a spinning arrow will be more accurate than one that doesn't.
    Good to know. I was hoping there wasn't anything technical that i was missing out on like rotation of the earth, Northern VS southern hemisphere? They do say that tornado's and the water in the toilet spin in the opposite direction in Australia. Didn't want to be unknowingly trying to spin my arrows the wrong way. You never now. lol
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would have to agree with Barry except for (LH or RH fletching), I'm curious as to what your setup is? Is this for a recurve or a compound? If compound what are you using for an arrow rest? As Barry mentioned, I also fletch my arrows at an offset, 2 degrees. Are you fletching your own arrows?
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    gerrardstown, wv
    Posts
    114
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclepath View Post
    I would have to agree with Barry except for (LH or RH fletching), I'm curious as to what your setup is? Is this for a recurve or a compound? If compound what are you using for an arrow rest? As Barry mentioned, I also fletch my arrows at an offset, 2 degrees. Are you fletching your own arrows?
    I'm set up for a compound bow. Martin Exile and shoot the same fletching for my Darton. Octane hostage rest on my Exile and two prong rest on the darton. I use an Arizona EZ fletch jig with I believe its an 8 degree left helical. 4 inch Easton Elite vanes.
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

  6. #6
    Senior Member HawgEnvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Posts
    1,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know if this is fact or fiction,but I was told that a left helical(spinning the arrow counter-clockwise)tends to cause the BH or FP to unscrew. Not that it would make a difference to me if I wanted to shoot left helical.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    510
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up rh stage 2

    dang didnt know they did a r / l , i wonder if it makes a diff ?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    gerrardstown, wv
    Posts
    114
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    I don't know if this is fact or fiction,but I was told that a left helical(spinning the arrow counter-clockwise)tends to cause the BH or FP to unscrew. Not that it would make a difference to me if I wanted to shoot left helical.
    Never thought of that. Now that you mention that, When shoot my field tips i do find myself screwing them back tight again, but never more than an 1/8 of a turn. I don't notice it as much with my broadheads for some reason. I feel this is happening after the field tips are striking the target. As long as broadheads aren't comming off during flight I don't see it as a problem.
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,499
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wick View Post
    They do say that tornado's and the water in the toilet spin in the opposite direction in Australia. Didn't want to be unknowingly trying to spin my arrows the wrong way. You never now. lol
    Lol! Not a problem here mate, either will spin fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by wick View Post
    When shoot my field tips i do find myself screwing them back tight again, but never more than an 1/8 of a turn.
    They always do if they're not tight enough. Nothing to do with helical.

    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I really see no performance difference between LH or RH fletching.
    I could never see how anyone could argue otherwise, but some did.

  10. #10
    SonnyThomas
    Guest

    Default Left, Right, or Straight?

    Well, everything is here, just kind of mixed.

    By old ways; Right hand shooter/right hand clamp. Left hand shooter/left hand clamp. And this referring to helical fletching.

    Straight clamp can be used for; straight, right offset or left offset.
    Target shooters at one time used straight, but this is going by the wayside.

    Offset - 2 and 3 degrees - normal for most applications. Of Blazers and similar vanes it is said not to exceed 3 degrees. Said is helical robs down range speed, but accuracy is retained.

    helical - used mostly for fixed broadheads, though some 3D and target shooters do use a helical clamp. More spin, more accuracy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •