Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horizontal Peep Sights Shurz-A-Peep and RAD Trio Peeps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Horizontal Peep Sights Shurz-A-Peep and RAD Trio Peeps

Was looking at these peeps as a way to stop messing with peep rotation. I almost had mine under control before I sent it back, now I will have to start all over when I get my new cables and string. I don't want to go to a tube aligned peep but may if I keep having rotation/creep. I want to shoot not tune.

Anyway, has anyone used one of these type peeps? RAD Trio and Shurz-A-Peep are the brands.

peepsight.jpg

xxPeep2.jpg

!B9Z9RNQCGk~$(KGrHqIOKjQEzOtG!zvqBM5seCbUdg~~0_12.JPG
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't shot with a string peep in years, after discovering the No-Peep sight eliminator. They're no longer available though. The company that makes the IQ Bowsight bought the technical rights to this device and now uses the concept in their new bow sight. There is however, a very similar product called the Anchor Sight (http://www.archeryinnovations.com/Main.html). The Anchor Sight costs a little more than the No-Peep but it's likely worth the extra coin due to the better adjusting mechanism used for horizontal and vertical alignment over what the No-Peep uses.

The concept is the device is attached to the riser and set up so when the shooter is at full draw and at the natural anchor point the black dot in the device is centered in the device and it has concentric circles around the dot, showing the shooter that he is holding the bow exactly the same each time. These are designed so even a small amount of torque applied to the riser is quickly evident, thus enabling the shooter to hold the bow consistently from shot to shot. If you've ever shot a rifle with front and rear peep sights you'll quickly see the similarity and understand how it works.

For the hunter there's another great advantage and that is you don't have a string peep aperture in front of your eye limiting the amount of light entering your eye. This provides generally about 15-20 minutes additional shooting time, very early morning and late evening, since you can see the illuminated front sight pin(s) and your game with greater clarity than compared with what you can see when viewing the same target in the same dim light looking through a string peep.

Since you eliminate the need for a string peep with this device you don't have to contend with peep rotation any more. You'll also gain a little arrow speed too since you've removed some weight off your string by eliminating the peep.

Just throwing this out for consideration in case you aren't aware of them.
    2008 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 66# DW), home-made TRG, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer/dampener, custom upper STS, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

If you are used to an unobstructed sight picture, you will likely HATE them. If you are using the bow for hunting, and you don't want to fight a peep, have you considered a rear aperature? My boys and I all use "Hindsight" plus aperatures for all our hunting bows. There are other brands out there, as well. Out to 40 yards, no real loss of accuracy, you pick up about 15 minutes of shootable light morning and evening, and the added bonus of ~ 5 fps gain by not weighing down the string. It forces you to lean over at the waist instead of dropping your arm, tells you of gross torquing, and gets rid of the real close range discrepencies. I set my 20 yard pin on the aperature, and everything within 20 yards is pretty much on. I've attached a picture of my '03 AR-31 with one on it. For pins, I shoot as good with the Hindsight as I ever did with a peep. The first time you set one up, it is a bit frustrating. The key is to anchor with your eyes closed, then set a 20 yard pin with no rear sight. Once that's done, set the Hindsight on the pin using the same eyes closed and anchoring. After that, it is only a slight adjustment side to side once you get out farther, if any at all. All a rear sight does is help you anchor the same every time - recurves don't use them at all.

Rockyhud beat me to it. I was typing when he put his out, or i'd have just said "dido".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nuker; 05-14-2011 at 02:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Peeps

Good Evening,

I have used a triple and even a quadruple spread "horizontal" peep. In fact the first peep I ever used was a peep that split the string four ways. I thought I liked it while I was breaking in the bow, and then grew to hate it as my string stretched. Despite splitting the string into the four segments(or three sections depending on the style of peep) it seemed thosed segregated segments of string seemed to always rotate into my peep view. And although it may seem that these smaller, segmented bits of string may not pose an impedence as to the view through the peep, they did. I have switched to a dual split peep like a G5 meta peep (I don't suggest that particular brand is any better than another). In fact, I just outfitted my new Firecat 360 with a clean Flecther peep. Love it. And although I am always considering using peep eliminating devices such as the Peep Eliminator, Hind Sight, etc... I would never consider using the triple or quad split horizontal peep, ever. Don't see any use in them... no pun intended.

Good luck.

LMJii
    2011 Firecat 360, 29", 65#, 386 @ 275 fps.

Post Thanks / Like

As nuker stated, you'll most likley hate either one of those if you like an unobstructed view of your pins and sight housing. You will almost always end up with one bundle partially in view and/or blocking the sight picture.

I've had very limited issues with peep rotaion on the HH strings, for the most part its taken about 15-30 shots to get the peep to stabilize and get it set in the correct spot.

Both the HindSight and the NoPeep will work well. I've not personally used either but have several customers that use them and won't go back to a standard peep.

Advantage Custom Strings

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Was looking at these peeps as a way to stop messing with peep rotation.
    It won't stop it. You will still have rotation problems because the separated strands get in the way as it creeps around, making it very hard to see clearly. It can make the pins move side to side if it gets in the way. They are a bit heavier too so you will loose a few fps.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I will forget about the horizontal peeps for the time being and stick with my Fletcher Tru-Peep

Archerx7

When I removed the 13" of factory serving and replaced it with 4.5" things settled down and I thought I had fixed my problem. But after a while it started to twist some more. Shortly after that I found my cut serving and you know the rest of the story.

My guess is I'll get a new string along with cables from Martin. If I do I will give the string a fair shake. If it moves then It might be what Hutch mentioned, each end of the string is served in opposite directions. It seems weird they would do that but maybe it is easier that way. Have you noticed that on any of the HH strings?
    Firecat 400

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

MLN,
    When you serve a string it should be served in the same way the string twists. Not all companies do this. Twisting a string from one end, the other end will be twisted in the opposite direction. Thus most companies serve in only one direction. That is why it is better to buy a custom string than a manufactured string.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

MLN,took me maybe 5-10 shots and my Meta settled right down.I would give the new strings a chance.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It has taken as much as 300 shots to get some to settle in. There isn't a real cure for peep rotation, quality strings, a bow press and patience is probably the closest.