Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TRG problems? Is this a solution ?? Dual string supressors?

SonnyThomas

Default TRG problems? Is this a solution ?? Dual string supressors?

I saw a pic of, I think, a Bear Carnage that had dual string suppressors.

One suppressor or dual suppressors? How about none? None equal less to adjust or worry about. This quiet BS is just that, BS. What's noisy on a bow? Well, for one, quivers. Another, some of the slider sights. Vital Gear probably had/has one the best sliders out and mine was a pure rattle trap. My hunting bow has only Limb Savers bolted on the limbs, nothing else. No string leaches, no whiskers, no quiver, no nothing. Shortest kill shot was right off the arrow. Longest kill shot was 36 yards. Two or three deer were looking right at me right before they headed for the freezer.

Is the sight noisy? Find out. Take it off the bow and shoot the bow. My sight is dead silent.

Arrow dragging noise from the rest launch arm. Coat it with something and make sure to check it for wear. A roll of electrical tape will last a quite a few thousand shots - last probably a few bows worth. Small can of that rubber coat stuff used for tools. Scentless finger nail polish will last quite a few shots. I hate those prong nylon covers. So thick and then people wonder why their point of impact changed when the nylon cover is wore down to the prong. Of course, a lot of the wear down and some noise is due to setting the rest improperly or poor bow tune. (Off subject, but the shoot through prong style rest should have the spring tension set so the arrow will not come up fully on it's own. Quick instruction; Set the tension so the arrow comes up through drawing the bow.)

Post Thanks / Like

You're so right, Sonny. In many cases the culprit causing noise is cheap acccesories, especially quivers. Most sights can have nuts or screws tightened to eliminate rattle, but those darned cheap plastic quivers are something we are stuck with. I wish somebody would make one with the supprts made of aluminum and laminated with rubber. Then mold a hood out of some sort of hard rubber. I guess this would make it heavier though.

Rests? I won't even get into this because I'm not a big fan of drop away rests. Anything with moving parts has to make some noise. I still like a Star Hunter on a hunting bow. A little shrink tube over the prongs and it's quiet as a mouse, albeit a noisy mouse.

No bow is going to be absolutely dead quiet. I still think that it's not the amount of noise a bow makes, but the frequency generated by the bow. We all know that metallic noise is a no-no.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    They have the best suppressor because the rubber if offset, the rod isn't inline with the string so the riser doesn't cop most of the shock. The only bad thing is replacing two rubbers instead of one. Fortunately they don't cost much more.

Btw, I'm not a huge fan of stops period. I'd rather use catwisker's.
    IMO the suppressors on the bear bows is their answer to the mathews suppressors. Mathews come right off the limb and the rubbers are also offset, close to the cams. Kinda like keeping up with the Jones's.
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting observation. Before I tried using a Martin TRG/SOS on my 08 Firecat I was using the OEM carbon cable guard rod and Saunders Hyper-Glide Slide and my own custom designed upper STS that placed the upper suppressor almost equidistant above the d-loop as the OEM STS is below. Of all the string suppression methods I've tried I believe this was probably the quietest. Now that I have my own TRG/cable slide system which seems to be working well I'm seriously thinking of remounting my upper STS again to see if my recollection of quietness is correct - and to see if it's compatible with my TRG since the cables are allowed to move considerably closer to centershot now. I had to adjust the OEM lower STS in order to eliminate cable interference so I think my upper STS should work again too. I'm using Limb Saver Decelerator Modules for the rubber stops, top and bottom, which have a slimmer vertical profile than my OEM STS rubber stop. If I determine it's usable again I'll post pics for anyone who's interested to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter_IL_BT View Post
    I see a lot of people are having issues with the TRG. There is a guy who made a custom TRG with just a single rod in a bent 45 degree angle position. This design he used enabled the regular cable slide to move in that 45 degree angle postion. Maybe this could be a better design idea for next year?

Another is the SOS concept. Instead of the one that people have had trouble with breaking. Maybe Martin should have dual string supressors one on top and bottom. Bear Archery does this. Maybe make modifications on the TRG and then use dual supressors. What do you all think?
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 67,5# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made bent cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

Bfisher I disagree to a point about fall away rests. I have a Qad ULtra rest HD and that rest is phenominal. I think it depends on the brand or type of fall away whether it makes the noise or not. For me and my 2010 Cheetah the QAD makes no noise at all. My Cheetah last year was so noisy but it was because I had a rubber tube peep and my sight needed to tightened up. Now I have a tubeless peep and a custom string on and its a lot better sound wise and it shoots harder and faster.

Sonny I think supressors help out tremendously! I know so many people who don't use leeches or twisters and there bow is so quiet. There is proof in the pudding that the string supressor quiets a bow down and stops the string from oscillating. However, I do feel the supressor has to be tuned properly. The old fashioned twisters do work as well. I have such a short draw that im looking to retain as much speed as possible.

Mathews does have a good inovation with those 2 small supressors on each axle. Im surprised noone else copied that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter_IL_BT View Post
    Mathews does have a good inovation with those 2 small supressors on each axle. Im surprised noone else copied that.
    It seems to me that Bear's dual arc suppressors would more effective since they are brought in further towards the middle of the bow. This leaves less string to be oscillating which seems to be the point. The only thing about the dual arc system is some people can't get past the looks and write it off. If you are into function and not form they are very effective. Personally, I think they look kinda cool. The Mauler I shot was very quiet and vibration free.
    Firecat 400

SonnyThomas

Default TRG problems? Is this a solution ?? Dual string supressors?

Well, I have to add we are humans. We don't hear what animals hear. Like I said this noise stuff is so much BS. bfisher said it best with the word frequency, the pitch. So long many wonder how a dog knew that a pheasant or quail lay under a blanket of snow and now we know dogs can hear the heart beat of the pheasant or quail.

Frequency of sound made by something is what deer hear. Trees fall and deer don't run. Farm country is my home. Tractors, diesel fuel fumes, clanging metal, dogs barking and guns firing and just look and go back to whatever they were doing.

So noise and a deer "jumping the string?" No, not really. If they "jump" chances are they were already put on alert by something else. Their nervous system hangs in there, continues well after a scary situation. They say a dog can run a deer to death. Maybe so, but they also may go into shock faze that hurries that death. This shock faze is more seen in rabbits. A mink or weasel is less than have the size of a rabbit, but wildlife researchers have found that the mink or weasel "hound" the rabbit until it goes into shock and then go for the kill.

Bottom line for me, a bow has to be pretty loud before it makes a deer "jump the string." More, many times deer don't know where the sound comes from and especially if the sound is in close. Okay, they hear the sound loud and clear, but what they see is what really turns on the "run for it." Yep, bow hunters shoot and they move after the shot. I've shot deer with pistols and had that deer or deer with the one shot run right at me. I do my best to not move, not drop my bow arm or string arm/hand or move anything until I know I made the shot. If accompanying deer remain at the sight I don't move until they move off. Deer do have memories.

Noise, bow tune, proper spine of arrow, gots to have camo this and that. All things hunters tend to worry about and what they should be worrying about is themselves.
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 05-16-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have duel string suppressors on my scepter 4 shoot thru took most vibes out of bow and it sure is quieter and it shoots great got one above and below the nock.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you Sonny. Much of what hunters worry about these days is driven by marketing and not necessity. I grew up hunting and when i tell people about sitting on stand with my grandpa next to a little fire to keep us warm they can't believe that we ever killed anything. Throw in the fact that we never wore camo or used scent killer and it'll floor them. My grandpa and great grandpa have killed more animals in their red flannel shirts smelling of pipe tobacco standing next to a fire or walking through the woods in noisy logging boots than most of us ever will.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

A fire in a tree stand? That is something else!
    Firecat 400