Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New trg string wear

Post Thanks / Like

Default New trg string wear

Just picked up the new firecat! smoking fast, not as smooth as the onza though but dealer assured me it was because of a lighter draw weight. Anyways whats the verdict on how to deals with all the string wear from the trg. dealer tried putting some ointment? on trg system to help reduce friction but i dont think it will last long.
    B

Post Thanks / Like

I think EHunter is using Bohnings string conditioner with good results.I just started using Scorpion Venom Ploymeric with decent results.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Life View Post
    I think EHunter is using Bohnings string conditioner with good results.I just started using Scorpion Venom Ploymeric with decent results.
    so that polymeric goes on string or trg? could be what was put on my trg? Did i read some where that martin was advising not to put any serving there to protect cable? is there such a thing as really fine serving that wont disrupt things too much?
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

p.s simple life

What do you think of that 7 in octane, i'm looking for a good stab. My dealer had an old 10 in doinker on his bow he let me shoot but wouldn't give it up i liked it alot. I dont know the cost of octanes but i think $75 is getting pretty pricey for a stabilizer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boobowbender View Post
    so that polymeric goes on string or trg? could be what was put on my trg? Did i read some where that martin was advising not to put any serving there to protect cable? is there such a thing as really fine serving that wont disrupt things too much?
    thanks
    Yes it goes on the string.Yes,you are not suppose to serve the cable in the TRG.Haven't shot enough to give a review,like to take it off and see if there is any difference.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

I use Bohnings Xcellerator string conditioner and have had great results so far. Over 2000 shots on one of the bows, and no cable wear at all. Just get a little residue every now and hten, so I clean the cables, then recondition them. As far as serving the cables there, it's a bad idea. The serving will act like a saw on the TRG, and eventually wear grooves in the plastic. Martin originally tried serving the cables there, and ran into that problem. Just keep the cables lubed up good, and you shouldn't have any problems at all. I think any of the "thinner" lubes should work fine. I originally tried regular old string wax, and the build-up was horrible. I recondition mine after every couple hundred shots now.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

SonnyThomas

Default New trg string wear

First, the TRG should be set for your setup. Okay, no more offsetting the cables any more than necessary.

In theroy, if not true application, the TRG doesn't touch the cables as much as a standard guide rod system.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to wax the string and it just makes a mess near the trg.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, i went out looking for bohnings string condition at gander. they didn't have it. found some track lube for crossbows, must have been what my dealer put on the trg.
    i will have to order on internet.
    How would I go about tuning the trg? do i set it so it barely makes contact when it is at rest or do i have to figure it out when at full draw. I noticed my dealers onza was worn at 3/4 down the trg.
    Went and really shot it for first time yesterday, what a tack driver. shoots alot harder than the onza though

2011 firecat 400, sword twilight hunter sight, apa twister dropaway, carbon xpress maxima blue streak 250's (target), easton epics 340 (hunting)

Post Thanks / Like

"shoots alot harder than the onza though"

Do you mean it hits harder at impact, or its harder to shoot?
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps