Thread: Noob arrow rest and quiver help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Noob arrow rest and quiver help!

I'm still brand new at this and the forum has been incredibly helpful so far, without laughing at me. I'm trying to (properly) install a Mantis capture rest and a quiver on an Onza 3. I think I'm getting there and I know it's not rocket science, but can someone please walk me through this? I haven't been able to pin down any local help -- at least not without paying for classes which I'm too broke to do for now -- so I'm teaching myself for the time being. Any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I will try to get you started...there are some basics to cover and some variables to consider. Basics...mounting of rest, on the cable rod side of the riser, under the cable rod are two threaded holes; these are for mounting the rest. Wax the threads of the mounting screw, some like to put a thin pad of rubber under any item mounted on the riser but it is not mandatory. Arrow rest should be installed to hold arrow level or slightly nock end elevated (maybe by 1/16 or so) to start. Arrow point should be roughly in line with shoot string as sighted from the string to arrow point. Arrow rest mounts to this side and basically wraps to the arrow shelf side of the riser. THIS IS JUST A STARTING POINT...YOU WILL NEED TO TUNE YOUR BOW/REST ETC. The mount for the rest will give you L/R and Up Dwn adjustment. I assume there is a nock installed on your string. Visit the Easton archery site on line. There is plenty of info on bow set up and tuning. As for the Quiver it should have a mounting bracket w/ it and a variety of screw lengths and spacers. the spacers are used to clear things like your sight bracket. You need to give more info on type of sight and quiver etc. The folks on here that know way more than me will give you better process but I thought I would respond so you know we are still out here, ha,ha... Also when mounting a quiver make any adjustments available on the quiver so that your arrows are mounted closest to the midsection of the bow and do not extend too far beyond one cam or another. This will help w/ balance and maneuverability. Wax the screws. Hope this helps a little.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

FYI if yoyu get one Hunter's Friend or the Tuning subforum on Archery Talk you can download a copy of Easton's Tuning Guide. This is a very informative guide on how to set up a bow and shows several different tuning methods.

I consider it the Bible of archery tuning. Using it you'll also learn some of the terminology used in archery.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Easton's Tuning Guide.
    Essential stuff, get it.

SIGSALY, its easier to explain if we do this one step at a time. Starting with the rest, is it on the bow?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

go to youtube and type in bow tuning tips. There are plenty of vids that will walk you through every inch of a copound bow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm_n3...eature=related

Kenny Parson is good, and so is Ike from Ikes outdoors. The stuff from "Expert villiage" is 1/2 assed at best.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ning+tips&aq=0
    Last edited by Scott; 05-19-2011 at 04:59 PM.

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    go to yuotube and type in bow tuning tips. There are plenty of vids that will walk you through every inch of a copound bow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm_n3...eature=related

Kenny Parson is good,
    This doesn't look like Kenny Parson. But maybe it was when he was little. Try your link again and tell me what you think.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    This doesn't look like Kenny Parson. But maybe it was when he was little. Try your link again and tell me what you think.

Hutch
    LoL Kenny as a little boy. Wrong copy and paste, the 2nd one is right.

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh but Kenny sings so well!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

That kid is funny LOL
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X