Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One piece riser!

Post Thanks / Like

Default One piece riser!

How do you guys feel about the 3 piece riser design Martin is using!Would you like to see a one piece design in the future!

SonnyThomas

Default One piece riser!

Kinda don't know yet. Of course the riser of the Shadowcat is a long one. Perhaps there is some strength in that the riser is broken down, short sections, and then reinforced through dowels and bolts.

Post Thanks / Like

I see nothing wrong with the 3 piece riser. It's been out for years, and has proven to be durable and reliable. I'm not saying it's better than a one piece, but I can't see where it isn't as good as one.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Its guaranteed for life. Then I will shoot it till it blows. And replace it if it does.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Its guaranteed for life. Then I will shoot it till it blows. And replace it if it does.
    Hutch
    x2. I don't see any drawbacks to the 3pc riser. I've not heard of any problems with it. If it did crack for any reason,its nothing that couldn't be welded if one were so inclined.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't like the 3 piece riser. I know it has benefits like cost and material waste but I'd rather have a one piece riser with potentially better alignment.

Post Thanks / Like

i would like to see a solid riser.it would be sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be more time consuming to put 3 parts together than mill just one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    I think it would be more time consuming to put 3 parts together than mill just one!
    True, but with all the reflex these risers have these days it takes one big chunk of metal to machine a one piece riser. All those aluminum chips are nothing but waste. Bigger chunk of metal costs more, takes longer to machine.

So far, in the 4-5 years that Martin has been using the modular risers there have been a few that came loose, but no more problematic than one piece risers that have snapped in two. And each piece, being shorter, are really stronger than one long piece of aluminum.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

SonnyThomas

Default One piece riser!

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    True, but with all the reflex these risers have these days it takes one big chunk of metal to machine a one piece riser. All those aluminum chips are nothing but waste. Bigger chunk of metal costs more, takes longer to machine.

So far, in the 4-5 years that Martin has been using the modular risers there have been a few that came loose, but no more problematic than one piece risers that have snapped in two. And each piece, being shorter, are really stronger than one long piece of aluminum.
    Well, not exactly waste. Chips gets returned the founder or scrap yard and some cost is recovered.

A small machine can machine smaller parts. And as I thought and bfisher also states the three shorter sections can be stronger than a one piece riser.

A machining problem exists for aluminum. Heat, stress, and stress relief can bring about warpage. The stress and stress relief is no mistake. Stress; aluminum can be bent or twisted. Stress relief; The basic aluminum stock is graded. Machining (heat) and removing metal can change the grade. Now consider the bigger the riser and the more it is effected. A one time the final cut of machining aluminum was actually "fuzzy" or removing perhaps no more than .002" stock. I am not familiar with machining a riser, but I had my share of machining internal "housing and wheels." Long story.