Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical or fixed broadheads

Post Thanks / Like

but after shooting / using rage, I am intrigued by schwacker. their might be better ones out there though. the rage blades can open in flight and did rattle around alot for me.

I think i'm going back up to 125 grs this year. I want cut on contact, but that 1 1/2 in cutting diam on those striker mags really interests me. Big holes and NO MOVING PARTS
    Would like to know if there has been problems tuning them though.

ever shoot that muzzy phantom?
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boobowbender View Post
    One question. What if the arrow doesn't pass through the other side? you will only have a half inch entry hole. I do think they will do their job 99 times out of 100 though. You know just as well as the rest of us its all about shot placement, but i lost a buck one night cuz i hit him square in the shoulder with a new mechanical i just wanted to try out. And then watched it run away with all of the arrow dangling from the same side i shot him.
    Ever hear that story from a muzzy hunter?
    Don't mean any disrespect, but i've been through the exact same thing you are debating with yourself. I love buying new stuff to try out too.
    To answer your question the inflight blades of the swhacker are i believe just under an inch in dia. these are what actually triggers the opening of the blades. I believe that slick tricks are only an inch in diam. and havn't heard too many complaints about them. So many decisions and so much to choose from. and every one claims there product is the one. Oh, I don't feel disrespected, I love the feedback. I like to have as much information and opinions as possible before making any change.
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Post Thanks / Like

thats cool, did you read my post about trg?
    those slick trick lutz blades are supposed to be super scary sharp! and its a fixed blade!
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boobowbender View Post
    but after shooting / using rage, I am intrigued by schwacker. their might be better ones out there though. the rage blades can open in flight and did rattle around alot for me.

I think i'm going back up to 125 grs this year. I want cut on contact, but that 1 1/2 in cutting diam on those striker mags really interests me. Big holes and NO MOVING PARTS
    Would like to know if there has been problems tuning them though.

ever shoot that muzzy phantom?
    No I havn't, Always stayed away from 4 blades. Seems like there would be more flight problems with them. but I bet the phantom would do some damage with that blade extending all the way to the tip. Kinda like the G5's
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wick View Post
    But lately I've been so saturated by the advertisements on TV for Rage and all the other mechanicals that maybe I'm missing out on something here.
    Its amazing how it works on you lol!

Mechanical vs fixed? Both have advantages. Mechanical's fly/tune better and have larger cutting dia's but are more expensive and sometimes have problems opening correctly depending on the angle and critter.

Fixed blades are cheaper, good at any angle and some are very easy to resharpen. Cut on impact 2 blade fixed heads will out penetrate ANY other design, very good on lower poundage/slower bows.

I won't shoot mechanical's simply because I cant afford them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Its amazing how it works on you lol!

I won't shoot mechanical's simply because I cant afford them.
    I can't afford them either but I can't really afford anything these days. That's part of why I want to get as much input as I can before i buy anything. from real people not commercials.
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Post Thanks / Like

check out reign broadheads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Most mechanical broadheads today are quite reliable. There was one two or three years ago that was flat junk. I've got the name at the shop.
    Otherwise, I've used NAP Shock Wave 100s for the last 10 or 11 years - 32 or 33 deer and no failures. Distances; Off the tip of the arrow and as far out as a measured 36 yards. Like any broadhead placement is everything.
    Does NAP still make the Shock Wave? Just printed the new cabela's archery book at work a couple of weeks ago and it's not in there. Just the spitfire's ane bloodrunners for the mechanicals.
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kylecurtis04 View Post
    check out reign broadheads.
    Have you used them?They claim that there are no flight differences with it, is that true. And do the pivoting blades come back to center and continue it's full cutting diameter completly after it strikes bone? Looks pretty neat, I see Ted Nuggent endorses it. at least on the website he does.
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wick View Post
    Have you used them?They claim that there are no flight differences with it, is that true. And do the pivoting blades come back to center and continue it's full cutting diameter completly after it strikes bone? Looks pretty neat, I see Ted Nuggent endorses it. at least on the website he does.
    I have a buddy who is sponsored by them and he got me a pack to try. They do fly pretty true to a field point. The blades start in a center position and swivel left or right when they come in contact with bone. I shot a doe with them from about 30 yards. The broadhead blew through her whole front shoulder bone. She ran about 30 yards & died. They also left a very nice blood trail. Well worth the money & won't let you down.