Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mechanical or fixed broadheads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mechanical or fixed broadheads

I've been thinking of switching to a mechanical broadhead this year. All I've ever used is Muzzy's 125gr. 3 blades and wasp cam locks back in the 90's. But lately I've been so saturated by the advertisements on TV for Rage and all the other mechanicals that maybe I'm missing out on something here. I kinda l ike the Swhacker, or I guess the remake of the old Sanoran but all the reviews sound the same for everything that I research.
    Any advice on which way to go here? Does anyone use Swhacker or know anyone who does?
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Post Thanks / Like

I got this hog with a rage 3 blade,i prefer 3 blade over 2 blade myself.Did a number on him blade looks horrible but was it perfect shape.
    I now use muzzy mx3 but would not hessitate to use a good brand of mechanical.
    This hog was taken a few years ago was very tasty too,,,,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Speedykills; 05-29-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use both Mech(Grim Reapers) and Fixed(G5-Montecs).I use Grim Repears for mechanicals and never had a problem with them and espically like there are not rubber o-rings for blade retention..The Rage I have heard too many stories,they are either great or they are terrible,so I passed on them.Just want to say,I personally have nothing against Rage and I have never shot them,I am going by what I hear on other forums,so if anybody here shoots them,I am not bashing them
    Last edited by Simple Life; 05-29-2011 at 01:56 PM.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

nice speedy!

To the OP; I wish I could help, but my state doesn't alow mechanicals yet. I guess that they are up for discussion for new regs again this year, along with luminocks and minimum arrow weight. With that said, Muzzys are great, and I haven't had a problem getting them to fly with my points. IMO, mechanicals are a great way to hide a poor tune. I have a friend who can't get broadheads to fly anywhere close to his fieldtips, so he uses those atom razorwire tips.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Used both and I am sticking with fixed. Less worries about opening. Not saying all brands are the same. But there are a few that have problems.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice hog speedy! That sure would make for a nice memorial day pig roast this weekend. Ever had any problems with quartering shots? I know guys that swear by Rage. But I have heard of pennetration issues too. I broadhead tune with the muzzy's on all my set ups and only usually have small differnces in the end but I am intrigued by the gaping holes that i see with the mechanicals. But also, If there are any improvements in flight with mechanicals then that one less thing to go wrong in a sport where so many things have to go right.
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Post Thanks / Like

Big Whitetails need solid broadheads. too many variables with most mechanical. did just see a cool show on the shwacker called broadhead science on the sportsman channel testing in against ALL of the competition.
    Shot 1 deer with the two blade rage, before becoming too nervous to have one fail on the buck of my dreams, so back to thunderheads last year. They always work, but at times lack monster blood trails. this is why i bought the rage. Still always one in my quiver for yotes or anything else that doesn't weigh 250LBS!
    Considering G5 Striker Mags this year 1 1/2 in cut! might be tough to tune though.
    ---google "broadhead science" once
    Theres an awfull lots of marketing dollars spent targeting us hunters
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boobowbender View Post
    Big Whitetails need solid broadheads. too many variables with most mechanical.
    X2 I 100% agree. I don't use mechanical broadheads. Everybody has their own opinion on them, but I'll take my regular broadheads any day.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I too don't like any more variables than there needs to be but I don't know if some of the benifits of the mechanicals will be worth it or not. I think i'm still going to try them, just want to make the right decision on the one i choose. I like the the fact that the swhacker doesn't open until the tips over an inch through the hide, thats why I'm leaning towards them so far.
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Post Thanks / Like

One question. What if the arrow doesn't pass through the other side? you will only have a half inch entry hole. I do think they will do their job 99 times out of 100 though. You know just as well as the rest of us its all about shot placement, but i lost a buck one night cuz i hit him square in the shoulder with a new mechanical i just wanted to try out. And then watched it run away with all of the arrow dangling from the same side i shot him.
    Ever hear that story from a muzzy hunter?
    Don't mean any disrespect, but i've been through the exact same thing you are debating with yourself. I love buying new stuff to try out too.
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows