Thread: Cam swap

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cam swap

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, archery, and martin bows. Please be patient with some of my questions.

I purchased a new exile bow a month or so ago. First new bow, did the whole wingspan divided by 2.5 calculation. Came up with 27", got the bow and it seemed long, ended up with 25" being comfortable with proper form from the pro shop. I'm 5'9" not tall but not short, having this short of draw length is robbing crazy amounts of speed. Chrono said 230 with a 350gr arrow, going to a lighter arrow will help a little. I'm drawing 61lbs on 55-70lb limbs. Dont want to really up the weight more. Anyway with my super short draw length I'm having a little buyers remorse, and wish I would have bought the leopard, would be more suited to my short draw length and I think I would have better speed. So after all that background info, is it possible to swap cams with the leopard? keep my limbs and use those cams to get more speed? Right now I'm only an inch short of maxing out the leopards specs, and it has 290fps. I know my peep and all other string accessories are robbing speed but 230fps is a joke.

If cams can be swapped, how difficult is it, new string, different limbs? big pain in the rear? worth it? I've had numerous other issues with my exile, trg wearing string, sos tearing after 200 shots, and my leather grip came off. So pain in the rear is par for the course.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Ford

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, archery, and martin bows. Please be patient with some of my questions.

I purchased a new exile bow a month or so ago. First new bow, did the whole wingspan divided by 2.5 calculation. Came up with 27", got the bow and it seemed long, ended up with 25" being comfortable with proper form from the pro shop. I'm 5'9" not tall but not short, having this short of draw length is robbing crazy amounts of speed. Chrono said 230 with a 350gr arrow, going to a lighter arrow will help a little. I'm drawing 61lbs on 55-70lb limbs. Dont want to really up the weight more. Anyway with my super short draw length I'm having a little buyers remorse, and wish I would have bought the leopard, would be more suited to my short draw length and I think I would have better speed. So after all that background info, is it possible to swap cams with the leopard? keep my limbs and use those cams to get more speed? Right now I'm only an inch short of maxing out the leopards specs, and it has 290fps. I know my peep and all other string accessories are robbing speed but 230fps is a joke.

If cams can be swapped, how difficult is it, new string, different limbs? big pain in the rear? worth it? I've had numerous other issues with my exile, trg wearing string, sos tearing after 200 shots, and my leather grip came off. So pain in the rear is par for the course.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Ford
    I'm not quite sure what you are wanting to do. Put the leopards cams on the exile or the exile cams on the leopard? I'm not sure you will get anymore speed out of the leopard cams, probably less than you are getting now. For your setup on the exile you are not that far off the speed of the bow. With a 25" draw you are loosing about 50 fps and with 60# draw weight you are loosing more speed. Not qualified to know if you can change your setup with what you want to do but I'm sure someone will let you know for sure.
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

Post Thanks / Like

Default cam swap

Yeah I'm wondering if I can put leopard cams on my exile, to match the specs to the leopard (draw length and speed).

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can. You just need a set of the 1.5 Nitro cams and the correct strings.
    Not sure that you would gain speed tho.
    The Exile with the 2.0 Nitro cams has a higher IBO rating.

Post Thanks / Like

okay, do you know if they are for sale anywhere? usually how much they would be? I thought I may gain some speed, thinking that the 1.5's were somehow more efficent at the shorter draw length that they were designed for. Would there be any problem with my limbs going up to 70lb and the leopard 1.5 cams only designed on a bow up to 60lb? Could I just keep it at 60lb and not worry.
    Thanks for your advice and help. I like the martin line up, a few issues here and there but seem like a good value.

Post Thanks / Like

Swapping the 2.0's to the 1.5's with the same limbs is going to increase poundage by about 10#.
    You will have to keep the limb bolts backed off enough not to exceed the 70# rating of the limbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait a minute - I am giving ya some wrong info here. Both the Leopard and Exile have the Acu-trak cams - not the Nitro's.
    So - - - same still applies - you can swap to the 1.5's with just a cam and string change but you may not gain much speed.
    I am not sure how much increase in draw weight you will gain with the single cam.
    If you really want more speed it may be best to get a bow with the Nitro cams rather than the singles.
    You could put the reinforced limbs, cables and Nitro cams (either 1.5 or 2.0) on your exile but cost would be almost as much as another bow.