Thread: Bow Strings

91CougarShooter

Default Bow Strings

I just purchased my first bow.....a 1991 Martin Cougar Speed Flite.

What's the rule of thumb for time frames on changing bowstrings? Annually? Bi-annually?

Waxing bowstrings..... The majority of my bowstring looks to be protected by a sheath, should the sheath be removed in order to wax the entire string?

What's a "reasonable" cost for an archery shop to change out a bow string? And do (or can/should) the archery shops place your kisser buttons, nock points, peep sight, and silencers and other accessories on the new string?

Post Thanks / Like

General rule is to change the string every two years and the cable every 3-4 years depending on how much you shoot. Also if there gets to be too much fuzzing of the string it may be wise to change before a hunting season, leaving enough time to shoot in and retune if necessary.

Any good shop should be able to change the string and cable and install the nocking point, kisser, and peep. Depending on how long the string is on the bow and it's quality there may be some creep and the nocking point won't be installed in the same location as it is on the old string, but it should be close. As for the kisser and peep, they should be about the same in relation to the present nocking point. This may call for a little retuning and resighting, which they should be able to help with.

As for waxing? Get a good silicon based wax like Black Lightning or ML6. You just wax whatever you can get it on including the serving. You don't need to remove the string or the serving to do so. How often to wax? Whenever the string feels a little dry or you see some fuzzing of the string. I normally do mine once or twice a year. Here again, it depends on how much you shoot and how well you take care of your equipment. Rub the wax on and then rub it in pretty briskly with your fingers. This creates a little heat and helps the wax permeate the string. It acts as a lubricant between the strands and helps water-proof the strands.

91CougarShooter

Thanks.

Are new strings generally waxed before being covered by various sheaths etc? If not would it be a good idea to wax the new string before the switch?

Oh, What's a reasonable cost for installing a new bowstring?

Bubba101st

Quote Originally Posted by 91CougarShooter
    Thanks.

Are new strings generally waxed before being covered by various sheaths etc? If not would it be a good idea to wax the new string before the switch?

I think the "sheath" you are talking about is a plastic coating that is on the strings and cables. I may be wrong here but I havent seen that on any bow (except for bows made for kids) in a few years. The thread that is wrapped around the string, where the nock point is located, is called serving, this should be waxed.
    I would go to your local dealer and ask them to give you a quick run dowjn on what you need to wax and weither or not your string needs to be replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 91CougarShooter
    Thanks.

Cost should not be too bad for string change. I'd say $10 max and most may include intallation in the price of the string. I know we do always have.

91CougarShooter

Default sheath

The cables have a plastic coating on them. The bowstring has a "corugated" looking covering on the center part of the string about 5"-6" long, starts at the kisser and goes down......thats what I was referring to as the sheath (for lack of knowledge of the proper term).

There is serving wrapped around the bow string between the string silencers and where it meets the cables. I haven't waxed those yet, so.....thanks, I will now.

I'm pretty sure my bow isn't a kids toy

Any idea what the IBO speed is on a "stock" 1991 Martin M-41 Cougar Speed flite? (28" draw length, 62lbs draw weight) Just curious what I'm working with here.

Post Thanks / Like

A plastic wrap around the cables makes me think that the cables are steel. Are they? If that's the case then no wax is needed on them. The corrugation you are referring to is serving material and being as it's at the center of the string it's called center serving.

91CougarShooter

Default errr

Not sure what the cables are, but they do have a plastic coating the entire length.

The "corrugation" I speak of is plastic. I'll more than likely change out the string at the beginning of summer, the string is very minimal fraying. The Cable looks to be in really good shape.

Thanks for the help.

...... slight change of subject......

Are there any reasonable modifications I can make to my 1991 M-41 Cougar Speed Flite? New Cam/Pulley? After market string/cables?
    Last edited by 91CougarShooter; 01-05-2007 at 11:54 AM.