Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Martin Magcat bow for my son.

mhardman

Default New Martin Magcat bow for my son.

I'm new to archery and purchased my oldest son a Martin Magcat from a local Dick's sporting goods. Took the bow to a VERY good local bow tech and had him adjust and check the setup. We have discovered that we need to change the cam module to achieve correct draw length. As measured he needs to have a draw length of 25 " or 23 1/4" at the burger button hole.

The cam module that is currently in is an F5. In digging round on the Martin site I have discovered this bow is a private-label version of the Jaguar Magnum. I can't seem to find a chart or reference for the cam module we need. I'm hesitant to trust Dick's at this point. When we purchased the bow we did NOT get any additional modules with it. Nor was there any additional documentation, etc. I did ask.

We (my sons and I) have a lot to learn, but think this will be great. I have been an upland bird hunter since I was 9 and am looking forward to a new challenge with my boys.

Any help, insight, very much appreciated. After I get him going... I, of course will be looking for a bow... any suggestions??? Thanks folks!

Post Thanks / Like

The bow should have come with an owner's manual and a complete set of modules.

I assume it has the dyna cam. Check out the cam charts on this link.

http://www.martinarchery.com/chart/2...rt/dynacam.php

Look at the M-62 magnum. You may need to contact Martin tech support and explain the deal. They will probably be able to drop you a set in the mail.

Clay

mhardman

Default Thanks Clay!

I'll check out the link and pursue calling Martin. I was a bit surprised when I was told at the store that what I had in my hand was what I got. Felt like we got a VERY good price on it. Again thanks!

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bcriner
    The bow should have come with an owner's manual and a complete set of modules.

I assume it has the dyna cam. Check out the cam charts on this link.

http://www.martinarchery.com/chart/2...rt/dynacam.php

Look at the M-62 magnum. You may need to contact Martin tech support and explain the deal. They will probably be able to drop you a set in the mail.

Clay

lrntolive

Thumbs up MagCat

mhardman,

I too purchased the MagCat at Dicks in Fairfax, VA. I received all the modules with it. No manual, but I downloaded the Martin Jag Magnum manual online. They are the same bow. You should find the module you need in the Jaguar Magnum manual. I believe it is an F-1. Also, you may need to adjust the cable on the Dyna cam to position three to make it shorter.

Here's the link for the manual: http://www.martinarchery.com/manuals/2006_BowManual.pdf

Also, Dick's isn't a bad place to buy the gear, as I purchased my bow for under $300 with everything on it, but I don't think they really know how to tune or set it up properly. Good luck!

mhardman

I'm going round and round with my local Dick's store right now. They maintain... they neither stock the modules nor do they have the ones I felt I should have gotten with my bow. A phone call with a Martin representative indicated that the Magcat does NOT come with the modules as it is part of their "Gold" series and not their Pro series. Have grabbed the Jaguar magnum manual. I'd like to have all the modules in hand as my son is 13 and beginning to grow. I'm hoping he can use this bow for some time to come. Very pleased with the quality and price, but thus far not the service. Thanks for posting!

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by lrntolive
    mhardman,

I too purchased the MagCat at Dicks in Fairfax, VA. I received all the modules with it. No manual, but I downloaded the Martin Jag Magnum manual online. They are the same bow. You should find the module you need in the Jaguar Magnum manual. I believe it is an F-1. Also, you may need to adjust the cable on the Dyna cam to position three to make it shorter.

Here's the link for the manual: http://www.martinarchery.com/manuals/2006_BowManual.pdf

Also, Dick's isn't a bad place to buy the gear, as I purchased my bow for under $300 with everything on it, but I don't think they really know how to tune or set it up properly. Good luck!

mhardman

Thumbs up Gotta post this... Dick's gets a reprieve

I finally got to talk with someone at Dick's who knew what a bow is. They have the cam module I need and will be swapping it out tomorrow. I retract my thrashing on them. Also thanks to all you folks for the info.

-Mark

lrntolive

Thumbs up modules

mhardman,

Try to get all the modules. Mine came in a pack from F-1 to F-7 and an allen wrench. You should get all of them if you can.

Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lrntolive
    mhardman,

Try to get all the modules. Mine came in a pack from F-1 to F-7 and an allen wrench. You should get all of them if you can.

Best of luck!

Yeh, sweet talk the guy and then ask for the module kit. They all came with the bow at no cost to Dick's. Failing that try a Gander Mt. store or anybody else that handles Martin.

Barring that, the whole set is $20 (retail) and the Martin part # is 3056.

You asked about a bow for yourself? Try the Martin (of course) Bengal or Pantera. My choice is the Pantera and mine just finally got here yesterday. It's a shooter. I'm pleased and I'm hard to please.

Wish you and the bowy the best shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I know the Martin Jaguar's that were sent to Bass Pro Shops are Gold series bows and they come with the module packs. I don't believe whether or not it is a "Gold Series" bow or not matters. Now it may matter that the deal with Dick's and Martin may be not to send the modules. I am not sure.

lrntolive

Lightbulb MagCat

All I can say is that I bought the same bow (for myself) from Dick's in Fairfax, Virginia and got all the modules. Maybe different locations have different policies, but the one here had everything for me except the owner's manual.

Is the MagCat not a good bow for an adult? Mine has 60# draw weight and 28" draw length. I figure that's an adult size. Or is the MagCat so versatile anyone can use it? I just liked it because it was so compact. Makes it easy for a stalk or treestand hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by bcriner
    Well, I know the Martin Jaguar's that were sent to Bass Pro Shops are Gold series bows and they come with the module packs. I don't believe whether or not it is a "Gold Series" bow or not matters. Now it may matter that the deal with Dick's and Martin may be not to send the modules. I am not sure.